Replace LP w/electric fireplace

LP is skyhigh $$$ in our area (Westminster MD). I'm looking into replacing our LP fireplace w/an electric model. 1) I need to cap the gas line. What do I need to do with the flue? 2) electric fp , 120vac vs. 220 vac; is worth the expense of running a 220 line to the fireplace? p=ie , 220 will draw less current, any other considerations? 3) any qualified professionals in Westminster MD area? This is not somethng I want to tackle myself. thnx in advance S
On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 10:13:02 -0800, HulloSon wrote:

cost of LP gas will be going down after the winter of 08-09 passes. Current cost of LP related to last summer's economy breaking high prices of Crude Oil. I, of course, am presuming your fireplace is not your primary house heating source.
IMHO, cost of Electricity will not go down as much, since the higher Utility revenues will allow building of "Greener" generation plants. Expect Electric bills to grow per cost of Kilowatt-hours goes up.
Make your decision based on heating, or aesthetics, but not on current cost of LP gas.
And yes, both 120 and the 240 volt systems will probably draw the same amount energy, but you will have less power loss in the electric lines with the higher voltage (power lines heat up slightly with higher current.)

Do some cost comparisons first. Electric is still the highest price inmost areas. Do you actually heat or is this just for looks? With a 220V you can have more power, thus more heat. The flue will have to be blocked. I'd cap it at the top to keep rain and birds out of it.
HulloSon wrote:

A couple of years ago I closed off a wood burning fireplace and put in an electric insert. Wife did not like the smell of burning wood and fireplace inspection said it was out of code and difficult to clean because of too sharp a bend. Chimney guy capped top while I also had him seal mortar on top that was cracking. I cleaned out fireplace and sealed damper with silicone caulk. 120 vac insert which needed no extra wiring only cost about $100-200 since I used existing fireplace glass screen. Looks nice with artificial flames. Worse part of job was cleaning up from years of wood burning.

If its for heating electric is most likely higher per Btu than gas and will go higher. Heating with a open fireplace wastes alot of heat up the chimney.