Replace Halogen Bulbs With LEDs?

Page 1 of 5
Hi,
Our electrician recommended we replace the 85 50W halogen spotlights in our ceilings with LEDs. We live in Costa Rica where electricity is expensive and frequent lightening strikes and power surges blow out bulbs. If possible we will use 12V LEDs. We will also be adding a whole house surge protector. Our apartment has recessed CFLs in the ceilings. Would that be a better option? We have no experience with LED lighting. We would appreciate your opinions.
Thanks, Gary

I've switched all the MR16 and GU10 bulbs in my house and the vast majority at the office over to LEDs. I used cheap Chinese units and have had a higher than expected failure rate (but no worse than when I first switched over to CFL bulbs - The early ones were a DISASTER!!!!!. The savings in electricity using the LEDs over Halogens was more than duplicated by the reduction in air conditioning costs because they run SO MUCH COOLER!!!
I have now also replaced virtually all of the CFL PAR floods in the house with Philips LED replacements - and most of the standard E27 base standard bulbs as well. Spent a bit more on the Philips dimmable units instead of importing cheaper Chinese stuff off e-bay. (mabee I've learned a thing or two??) I'll replace the "special" bulbs like the globes in the bathroom fixtures, and the chandelier, as decently priced, acceptable replacements become available.
Gary:
You should be aware that your halogen bulbs are using nearly as much electricity as regular incandescent bulbs, and most of the energy they consume is being wasted as heat.
Fundamentally, the primary difference between a halogen bulb and a regular incandescent bulb is that halogen bulbs have bromine or iodine gas in the bulb rather than an inert gas like argon. The halogens (bromine and iodine) react with the tungsten atoms that come boiling off the hot filiment and redeposit the tungsten atoms back onto the filiment, so that halogen bulbs don't darken with age the way regular incandescent bulbs do. Also, halogen bulbs operate at a much higher temperature so they use a quartz bulb rather than regular silica glass.
Still, you will realize a substantial electrical savings if you switch to either compact fluorescent bulbs or LED bulbs. I would consider compact fluorescent bulbs instead simply because their price is lower and the price of LED bulbs is still coming down. LED bulbs are supposed to last very much longer than CFL bulbs, so maybe LED is the way to go to save more over the long term because you won't be replacing bulbs nearly as quickly.
--
nestork

Per nestork:

I just had my second CFL bulb fail. I can't cite how many hours it had on it, and maybe it was a defective product....but it's obvious to me that the cost per hour for those 2 bulbs was hugely higher than any incandescent.
--
Pete Cresswell

On Tue, 3 Dec 2013 04:29:19 +0100, nestork

About half. The light is much "whiter", as well, which helps.

Higher temperature => higher efficiency. More of the radiant energy is in the visible range.

CFLs suck. LEDs may be ready for prime time soon.
On 12/2/2013 6:28 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Must have been a bad batch or brand cause I still have most of mine. I'm still waiting for them to fail so I can replace them with LEDs.

My first CFLs I had the same problem. 3 or 4 different sources - same crap - different pile. Of the first 6 or 8 I don't think 2 lasted a full year. I have since had a couple last 4 years.
On 12/2/2013 6:43 PM, Gary wrote:

I'd ask to visit some of his earlier customers, and see what they think. Maybe you know someone who did this (work, church, up and down the street) and can ask. From here, it sounds good.
I'm in NY, USA. I've got some CFL bulbs. The LED bulbs I have are from China, and not very bright. I use one for a night light in the bathroom. Tried one over the kitchen sink, but 2 watts isn't enough to wash dishes.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

12 and 15 watt LEDs are as bright as 50 - 80 watt bulbs.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Hi, Right off the bat, two things came to mind. LEDs run very cool. Halogen runs very hot. Air conditioning may run less. Also LEDs use very little power. I am gradually replacing our lighting devices with LEDs. Price is getting better too.

Can't imagine 85 lights.
Can't imagine blowing halogen lights.
Any kind of electronic control is going to be subject to blowing.
Suppressor good idea but not foolproof.
I have a headache.
Greg

LEDs will definitely save you electricity and if you use AC as suggested later in this thread, the savings will mount: that's efficiency. The bigger question is efficacy: how much does electricity cost and how much will the replacement bulbs cost...do a cost benefit analysis and see if you get a reasonable payback period
On Mon, 02 Dec 2013 21:20:17 -0800, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"

If the ones I replaced in the office last 6 months they pay for themselves in the summer @ $6 each.. (from what I remember) Takes significantly longer in the winter as the halogens decrease the heating fuel requirement significantly.
On 12/3/2013 8:26 AM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Electric heat, versus furnace. Not sure what your heat source is, but most places, electric heat costs more.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Yup - but if you are figuring pay-back on an investment in "low power" bulbs you need to take it into consideration. You are getting the heat from halogens - whether you need it or not. In the summer it costs to remove the heat. In the winter you save a bit on heat.
With LEDs there is no heat load to remove, and no heat gain to reduce heating requirements. Doesn't matter which costs more, because you are not installing gas lights.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

If I were using a heat pump one watt of electricity would produce more useable heat than the halogen and I wouldn't be adding to my cooling load in the summer, so unless you live in an area that has more heating degree days than cooling days by a significant ration, using halogens is just not really a good move
On Tue, 03 Dec 2013 12:12:59 -0800, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"

Nobody is stupid enough to recommend you use halogen lighting as your heat source - - - - - although it IS used to heat paint booths, and some other specialized applications.
On Tue, 03 Dec 2013 19:13:45 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Malformed is that stupid.

keep trying herr goebbels, but limbaugh should teach you better or get your money back
On Sun, 29 Dec 2013 13:30:45 -0800, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"

Keep lying, Malformed. Even the newbs need to know you're a pathological liar.