Replace glass in Andersen windows?

The double glazing in one or two of our Andersen casement windows is leaky, as evidenced by condensation and/or dirt between the two sheets of glass.

How easy would it be to replace the glass myself? Any tips?

MB

Reply to
Minnie Bannister

The problem is not the glass, unless you see cracks in the glass. The problem is the seal between the panes. It's not so easy to do this yourself; in the factory, they remove the air and pump in a dry, inert gas like argon or nitrogen before making an airtight seal. Moisture between the panes indicates a failure of this seal, and you'll need to replace both panes with a factory-sealed two-pane piece, not just putty in a new pane.

Reply to
Travis Hayes

That's what I meant: how easy to replace the "factory-sealed two-pane piece"?

MB

On 11/18/04 08:36 pm Travis Hayes put fingers to keyboard and launched the following message into cyberspace:

Reply to
Minnie Bannister

It is best to get a new section from Anderson, but you have a 15 yr warranty already.

Reply to
m Ransley

ABC

Look in the LOWER CORNER of your windows to find an ETCHING. Check them all.

There is a manufacture date there ( never knew that ) - write down any numbers.

Call Andersen toll free.

Andersen replaced 3 of my 4 windows under factory warranty. Give them the numbers and they sent it with no inspection at all.

Reply to
Conase

Call Andersen. They will probably send new sashes for free.

Reply to
Art

So, does the average homeowner know how to reinstall the glass?

Is it hard to do ??

--James--

Call Andersen. They will probably send new sashes for free.

Reply to
James Nipper

Andersen has the sash replacement instructions on their site. Windows are much heavier than they look and I recommend 2 persons for the job.

Reply to
Art