Replace fill valve in toilet tank, simple fix right?

I bought the replacement valve but noticed the turn-off valves at the toilet were corroded and if I tried muscling them off might flood the bathroom. So, go out and turn off the house water. Problem was a huge root mass had covered the turn-off valve at the hose bib. So, dug out the root mass with crowbar and in the process knocked off the female hose connection to the bib. Replaced that okay. Went to get new handle to put on the turn off valve and found no handles (at Ace or Lowes) would fit the stem---either to large or too small. There would have to be an intermediate size that would fit. as I cannot go ahead with the job until I can turn off the water and I don't want to use vice grips to do it or turn off at the meter. What next? Thanks for your ideas. Derek in Pompano Beach, Florida

Is there another shutoff at the city side of the meter? Seems like you have some valves to replace.
mfrencher had written this in response to http://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/Re-Replace-fill-valve-in-toilet-tank-simple-fix-right-393131-.htm :
Pat wrote:

Worth every penny to purchase a meter key tool (25.00)at your local hdwr store to shut off the meter do your work and tackle the main valves on your terms. Worst case call the water department they will shut you down and turn you on though in their time frame. Beware that most water companies do not allow you to operate their valves at the meter so dont advertise to them that you are doing so good luck
------------------------------------- Marco

as per Pat's comment...you have some valves to replace
you can use two 12" Cresent wrenches to turn off the valve at the meter; one to engage the meter valve, the other to turn the first wrench
a decent meter wrench is worth it though; dont get the wimpy one with only 1/2" shaft, they can yield in torsion :(
prior to shutting off the valve at the meter tap it gently with a soft metal hammer or a soft metal rod (like lead, copper, brass or aluminum)
cheers Bob

as per Pat's comment...you have some valves to replace
you can use two 12" Cresent wrenches to turn off the valve at the meter; one to engage the meter valve, the other to turn the first wrench
a decent meter wrench is worth it though; dont get the wimpy one with only 1/2" shaft, they can yield in torsion :(
prior to shutting off the valve at the meter tap it gently with a soft metal hammer or a soft metal rod (like lead, copper, brass or aluminum)
cheers Bob
Thanks for all the advice (and on a Sunday too!), now I can go forward. My neighbor Pat (the plumber) brought me a handle that fit the stem and even volunteered to replace the whole hose bib settup for free. I just needed to shut off the water and get that valve in the toilet done. Looks like I should replace the water turnoff at the toilet while I am at it. Turning off at the meter is the best way to do it all. Thanks again for all your input. Derek

Let Pat the plumber replace the bib, then either buy him dinner, get him a gift certificate to take his wife out, or hire him to replace all of the valves. That's what I do with Brent the computer expert.
Derek Lawler wrote:

If all else fails <G>:
http://www.freezekits.com /
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

And I thought these kind of project accelerations only happened to me. What I do is bite the bullet and replace all of the cheap Mickey Mouse valves with 1/4 turn ball valves.
I would make provisions for shutting the meter off if you are unsuccessful at finding the shut-off handle. I think it is really important to be able to quickly shut off the water supply in the event of an urgent need.
--

__
Roger Shoaf

Important factors in selecting a mate: