replace expansion joints in concrete

There is a felt joint in the middle acrros my garage floor. It is fairly rotted and soaked with automotive fluid after years. I removed it all with a screw driver. Then used a 5/8" foam filler rod and silicone caulk to fill the gap. This fixed the cosmetics but now I was thinking maybe I did something bad, should I reinstalled a piece of new felt? Is the whole slab going to move and cause problems? The garage is 20 years old.

If I get a new piece of felt how do I get it in the joint properly?

Thanks ina dvance

Reply to
jeremy_ho

you no give enough information for frog to leap

Reply to
chickenwing

It will be just fine. No way will you get a new piece of felt into the crack.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Felt is a very inexpensive and less effective replacement for a sealant+backing rod joint. They used the felt because garage floor joints are so easy to seal that even felt will work.

In effect, you have "upgraded" the joint.

Jazon

Reply to
jazon48

Nahh, you did fine. What you've done is better than felt, since it'll seal up the crack better.

Reply to
louie

Ya done good!

The felt was installed to allow the slabs to expand and to provide a control joint so the cracks were in a nice straight line.

Backer rod and caulk or poured tar are the normal pavement sealers. Inside the garage probably didn't need the sealant to prevent subgrade moisture, it was a cosmetic issue only.

DanG