Replace Ducting w New HVAC ?

What guidelines are there for ducting replacement along with a new residential HVAC system? This is a small (1300 sq ft) home in Southern California that's about 30 years old. It has the original HVAC system and all the attic ducting is original as well. The ducting appears to be made of the same flexible, corrogated aluminum that the dryer uses, but larger and wrapped in about 2 inches of fiberglass insulation. There are no obvious leaks or gaps, but the AC system does not seem very efficient (duh, 30 years old), so I might be losing some of my heating.cooling that way.
The installer strongly suggests replacement, and common sense says this probably a good idea, but this would add a considerable amount to the total system cost. I definitely don't want to do it myself.
What are the appropriate materals, etc. for a modern residential attic duct system, and can anyone make a guess at a reasonable cost for reducting the house? (All of it is in the attic, and there is good access to everything up there. There are eight vents in the house, and the heater assembly is in the middle area of the house. Pretty typical stuff, I would guess.)
Gratitude in advance for any advice.
- Magnusfarce
Magnusfarce wrote:

http://www.udarrell.com/proper_cfm_btuh_duct_sizing_air_conditioning_systems.html
Call a number of HVAC contractors for estimates. - udarrell
--
WISDOM PRINCIPLED EMPOWERMENT COMMUNICATIONS -
THE REAL POLITICAL ISSUES and PEOPLE EMPOWERMENT