Replace drywall joint tape - is it necessary?

I am removing the popcorn ceiling from a very small bathroom. This is my first attempt. The old material is coming off fairly easily but when I get to the edges, the joint tape is loose and coming up even when I have been careful to not push the tool under the tape. Do I have to replace that tape?
On Saturday, July 19, 2014 5:44:02 PM UTC-4, Vacationgal wrote:

Yes, it should be replaced to get a good joint that's even and won't crack. If the tape is coming off easily, just pull off whole sections of it and replace. I prefer the self-sticking mesh type myself, but regular will do too.

I like the self-stick mesh also - but only for butt seams. For corners I find that the paper tape works better and is easier to work with. Just my opinion.
On Sat, 19 Jul 2014 21:44:02 +0000, Vacationgal

Only if you want the job to last. If you are OK with the corner joints cracking, be lazy and fergetaboutit.
On Sat, 19 Jul 2014 21:33:18 -0400, "The Streets"

Prefold tape made specially for corners is available. I heard there is also a corner re-enforcement product that grips the drywall on inside corners but I haven't seen it.

Are you talking about the steel reinforced paper tape? If so, it works well on any corner.
--

dadiOH
Vacationgal wrote:

That popcorn ceiling may contain asbestos.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Popcorn_ceiling
http://realestate.msn.com/article.aspx?cp-documentid 108036
You may already be toast!