Replace dangerous side steps

Page 2 of 2

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 12:08:28 -0700, aspasia wrote:

No, no. Same thread. Called "thread creep".
If you recall, the common factor was trying to get things done inexpensively when you live in an expensive neighborhood.
(not that I do, but it was too expensive to repair a pipe.)

OK, got it -- but here's what I was taught:
Subject line would read:
Repair broken pipe [was: Replace dangerous side steps]
That way people interested in the new subject can go right to it, and people interested in the old subject can bypass it. -- all without breaking the thread.
Aspasia
On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 19:40:47 -0700, aspasia wrote:

I used to do that. And when I change the subject line, I still do that.
When I read mailing lists, people are always changing the subject line and it is sometimes a big problem for me because Eudora doesn't sort by recent thread, only by mailbox. So I almost never change subject lines in email lists, or even personal correspondence, and that has carried over to news, even though Agent does sort by thread.

Maybe, maybe not. I use Agent, which is about as versatile as could be, more versatile than any other new program I know, and even if on occasion it's not, using it points out the issues.
Reading with Agent (which many people use) there are two choices, 1)Start a new thread when subject line changes, and 2)Don't start one when subject changes.
If you choose 2, there is no way to go right to it, because it appears with all the others and they only have one entry, at the top, that lists the subject. The entries below it don't give the subject.
If you choose 1, then the new thread starts at the very bottom of the list, regardless of how far away from the original thread that was.
There were too many times when too many people changed the subject line, often without even quoting the original subject, and I wanted to go back to an earlier post in the thread, and couldn't find one.
So I chose 2 and that has solved 1's enormous problem, but it has the problems I listed.
I've used Netscape a little for news, but not enough to see how it works on this issue. I guess other news readers could keep a multi-subject thread in one place, while listing the subject in the table of contents every time it changed. Does any program do that?