Replace ceramic floor tiles

I have to replace three cracked 12" floor tiles.

The first step is to remove the grout around the tiles. The grout lines are about 1/4" wide. I have a small manual scraper but it is slow and laborious. Can I put a dry diamond blade in my circular saw and remove the grout that way? Is there a better way?

Reply to
Walter R.

Since they're "already" cracked, why not break them up some more with a hammer/chisel and take 'em out that way? That way, you'll be able to take most of the grout out since it'll be stuck to the broken pieces - or it'll just break off - eliminating the step of "grinding" or sawing out the grout lines. Doing it this way may also save you from damaging surrounding tiles with your skill saw...

Reply to
BiloxiBoy

Walter,

You are on the right track to remove the grout around the tiles you are going to remove. I like to use a diamond blade in a angle grinder, but I am sure you could use a circular saw.

AZCRAIG

cm

I tried using a Dremel, which seemed to go thru the grout pretty well, but couldn't get a good angle because of the cutting disk size. Now I'm thinking my portable circular saw with a thin cutting disk would work well.

georgie

Dremel has a lovely little attachment for removing grout. Uses a small bit, but I assume you want to cut through the surrounding grout, not to remove it all. The challenge when I used it was to cut deep enough but not too deep. With your project, I would try to cut all way through the surrounding grout so cracks do not extend into non-damaged area. The Dremel grout bit uses a very small bit, but I suppose 4 or 5 passes would eliminate a 1/4" grout joint.

Someone posted recently some tricks for blending grout colors; neat information.

Reply to
Norminn