replace basement windows

My basement has three small wood windows, rectangle shape. They are all very crappy, after 40-years taking sun heat and rain/snow moisture. I wonder how people normally do in the replacement? The wood frame is built into concrete wall, it seems not possible to get removed. If we go vinyl ones, how to install? I'd rather go cheaper with new wood ones, just make them look good.

Basement windows are a popular means of entry for burglars. Go with vented glass block.
On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 01:26:33 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

Some basements windows are good for fire escape. Shoot the burglars.
-- Oren

most are screwed to the block or the wood frame is screwed to the block.
glass block windows even those with vents cause venting and moisture trouble in basements.
investigate ingress egress windows and call your basement another bedroom at home resale time. more money for you
On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 18:50:18 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

In some houses, yes. Not all. For example, not in mine, constructed in 1930.

a 1930s home has so many air leaks a tent would be better,,,,,,,,,

a 1930s home has so many air leaks a tent would be better,,,,,,,,,
I'm confused.
I have standard basement windows that are never opened. No moisture problems. If I replace them with glass block windows, why should I then have moisture problems?

First thing I did in my 1800 farmhouse was pull out all the basement windows and brick them up. Of course, the basement has a walk-out so no windows are needed for egress, plus the existing "windows" were 12" wide and 6" high, so only the cats would have fit out anyway. If you need the windows for ventilation I have no suggestions, but in a stack-stone foundation, ventilation isn't exactly a concern :)
On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 05:40:34 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"
You'd be wrong. Yet again.

It has been 30 years since I've done them, but I used to sell and install windows as a side line back then. I used to tear out all the wood and use mortar mix to put the new windows in place. No rot, no termites, no painting.

Ed's right. You can easily mortar in windows, wood, or these days, vinyl. You may have to resize the opening for a new stock window, but that is easily done with mortar, scrap brick pieces, or even ceramic tile from the tile store bargain bin. In my experience, vinyl is far easier to work with. Give it a shot.
Joe
Joe