replace air coil or install new system

hi everyone,
i have a 3 ton goodman HVAC, pretty regular setup, condensor outside, fan coil in the attic. it's 8 years old.
it wasn't cooling, and i had a tech over. he used a sniffer to fingd a leak in the coil, recharged the system.
he recommended replacing the entire system with a Carrier one, which his company sells (cost 5600$).
i called a goodman dealer, he said replacing the fan coil would be 1250$, the entire system would be 4400$.
i was hoping to get some feedback on whether i should replace the entire system, or just the fan coil.
the system has worked fine up to this point; i had to replace a capacitor on the outside unit last year, but otherwise it seems fine and cools beautifully now it's been recharged. (it had never been recharged before.)
in addition to the repair/replace question, some other questions:
o do the prices seem reasonable? o how much more life can i expect out of the condensor, given that it's 8 years old o is repairing the coil leak a reasonable option?
thanks, adnan
a new unit will give you better efficency....
what SEER were they quoting?
A very high SEER makes more sense if you use a lot of AC.....
prices sound a bit high if you ask me
There's your problem. The condenser belongs in the attic and the fan coil should be outside. I cant believe they installed it backwards. I'll bet they didnt even install @ductboosters. You got hozed but good. Have that Carrier installed but offer him $6500.00 instead. You'll be glad you did. Bubba
On 19 Apr 2006 13:47:21 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

You have 2 options as I see it,
1) replace the evap coil....if its done correctly, you should get another 8 - 10 years out of it unless something else breaks.
2) Replace the Goodman POS with a top rated, top quality, 13+ SEER system, like Rheem, or Trane and get a 10 year warranty on it, and a 30 - 40% decrease in operating costs as a bonus.
FWIW, I love Carrier and Goodman, they have been keeping me real busy what with their failures and repairs an all.