Replace AC condenser coil

Hi --

I have around 6 years old AC unit (i think it is made by carrier). For past couple of years, Freon is leaking from the unit. I called a repair person and he said, Condenser Coil is leaking. He even tried to fix and said he can't fix the hole. I have two options now.

Either replace the coil (He quoted $950) or replace the unit (could cost more than $3,000). Since the unit is around 6 years old, he is recommending me to replace the unit rather than replaceing the coil.

Not sure how long these AC units typically will run and debating between replacing coil vs unit.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Reply to
anilchada

Compressor life is more like 15 years. Repair guy is out looking for high margin business. If s/he KNOWs it is the coil (and that can be difficult to determine) replacing the coil is more economic.

OTOH, if the SEER of the old unit is say 10 and replacing with a 14+ and you have 2000 Cooling degree days, it makes sense to go with the replacement unit, as it will cut your cooling bills significantly. With only 1000 or so cooling degree days, the payback period gets longer.

I live in a 2000+ Cooling Degree day area so high SEER makes ALOT of sense

Reply to
Robert Gammon

In a 6-year-old unit, if it is otherwise sound, and you have a good technician, and a fair price, replace the coil. See this current thread:

Richard J Kinch