Replace a gas insert with a wood-burning insert

We recently bought a house and want to replace the gas insert with a wood-burning one. The gas insert vents out the side of the house -- about 6' above the fire box. I imagine this will be a problem. What I wonder is: can it be done without building a flue to the roof? We live in Washington State.

Thanks.

Reply to
ezra_epstein

not likely. does the chimney with a working damper travel to an altitude above the rooftop by [local feet varies]? check neighbors homes for tips if this common in your area. note natural gas burns cleaner, more efficient and even heat, less asthma concerns. if your fireplace is only a decorative one see if you actually have a fireplace for heat or decoration. you can not burn any other fuels in a decorative gas fireplace. check for wall insulation before you change to wood heat, lots of heat can be lost up the chimney.

ezra snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
buffalobill

I agree. Sounds like you want to send your steak back and get chicken instead. I have a woodburning FP in Fla..(yea we use 'em there) and a gas insert in Pa. I wouldn't want another wood burner as sick as it makes me when I use it..

CP

Reply to
Charles Pisano

Be safe--A wood-burning fireplace needs a chimney.

Reply to
Phisherman

You can't use any of the existing system, no.

You can, however, take the existing pipe out and put a stainless zero-clearance metal chimney through the same hole, extending it up to the required clearance above the roofline.

Reply to
Goedjn