repearing hardwood stairs

I am about to repear my hardwood stairs with new threads and risers and need some detail instructions on how to proceed. first am I right on saying that the risers are the back of the stairs and the threads are the step and the side is a skirt and the rest is the stringer ?.

What I plan to do is remove the remove the skirt,risers and threads and replace with oak.

How should I proceed there are 13 stairs at which three are wall to wall and the rest with a banester and spindel. Any help that any one can give me would be appreceated.

How difficult is this project ? I do not have to rebuild everything.

What has happend is I have removed a carpet that coverd the complete stairs and found that I presently have hardwood stairs but some are cracked and do not look to good refeish is out of the question as my wife would like to go lighter on the color etc.

Reply to
dsouza

For the job to look right and be sound you have to reverse the stair assembly process. Since the treads abd risers are the first thing installed to the stringers the bannister and spindles must be removed. Find a book on finish carpentry/millwork at the library and study the way things are put together and your project will be much easier to do. Before you start, make a list of tools and materials based on your reading, then decide how badly you want light colored steps vs. new carpet. Good luck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

Reply to