Reparing Leak in Tire Side Wall

sharp object laying by the curb. Looks like a 1/2-inch cut, but jagged. T ire is tubeless radial. Is it possible to patch something like this on the side wall? Patch kits say they are for the tread but don't say specifical ly not to use them on the side.

s say tubeless can't be fixed with a tube, but I can't see why not.

I was told by a service station operator that my sidewall break was unrepai rable. I took it to a tire shop where they repaired it but cautioned that t he tire should only be used as a spare and if so used should be driven at s peeds under 40 mph. ====

Reply to
Roy

On 11/06/2014 11:46 AM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote: ...

But that's not the reason for using it--it's still an essentially ideal gas at those pressures (roughly 200 psi) so the pressure fluctuations are no different than with air (which, remember is 80% N to start with).

The reason is to eliminate the entrapped water vapor that can turn to ice crystals at high altitude. I suppose there's a very slight improvement in minimizing pressure loss owing to diffusion at the low pressure of high altitude since N permeability is about a third less than that of O, but given the duration of flights and the religiosity with which stuff is checked I really doubt the effect would be measurable within the allowed precision.

The same effect could be accomplished by purging and using dry air or any other (non-explosive) gas with a molecular weight as great or greater than O2 as long as one displaced the air vapor in free air.

It's those secondary effects that are the only real benefits that is why for ordinary application in passenger car/light trucks it's _way_ overkill in that there just won't be any discernible symptoms that it cures that ordinary care and maintenance don't resolve, anyway.

Reply to
dpb

Hi, Specially in cold weather region like where I live. I can see less pressure fluctuation with N filled tires by monitoring with TPMS on the dash. N is not snake oil at least for me.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

On 11/06/2014 1:11 PM, dpb wrote: ...

ERRATUM: ...displaced "WATER VAPOR", not air, of course...

Reply to
dpb

On 11/06/2014 1:11 PM, dpb wrote: ...

Or, use He and gain some lift :) . At the (very) approximate cost of 3X the effusion rate for pressure loss during the flight.

Reply to
dpb

I move them front to rear every time I change them.take off the snows and put on the summers opposite of how they came off. I never rotate tires left to right.

Reply to
clare

You finally got it. good thing too, 3 times and you are out.

Reply to
clare

If I spend $1000 for tires, the least you can do is give me the nitrogen that cost you 50 cents to make.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Good thing you did not say what those reasons are. We'd not want you to educate anyone.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Yup, works great 98% of the time. I put a Kenda 21" knobby on the front wheel of one of the bikes. The rear went like planned, but that damn front bead would not seat. I aired it up to 90 psi, aired it down, poured on soapy water, beat on it, took it out for a ride, and it finally seated. I'm going back to Dunlop 606's next time.

I learned to deal with tubes damn near 60 years ago changing tires on my genuine 'English' bicycle with the three speed Sturmey-Archer planetary hub. I also learned there are a lot of springs in one of those things, but that's another story.

Reply to
rbowman

Here's a couple of Boeing videos that show why you need nitrogen in airplane tires. It's the rejected takeoff test of the 777, stopping 750K pounds going at 160mph. That plane is a great American achievement, the best plane I've ever flown on. I went from JFK to Hong Kong, 16+ hours, non-stop on one. And over the north pole, if something goes wrong, there isn't a handy airport nearby.

trader_4

Different tire. Absolutely no comparison after the part about rubber and round.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I beg to differ. I recall listening to Don Cherry when he said that when hockey players never wore helmets or mouth guards everyone kept their sticks down and the puck on the ice because they knew that a stick or puck in the face or head was dangerous. Now that everyone wears helmets and is biting down on a mouth guard, the sticks and pucks are in the air, and people are getting seriously injured by high sticks and flying pucks.

We see exactly the same thing outside the hockey arena. When there was an electrical blackout in New York City about 10 years ago and the subways stopped running, everyone peacefully filed out of the subway system and walked home after work and there was no crime in New York City during that black out. That's because everyone realized that this was a potentially dangerous situation that could turn into anarchy and everyone had to help everyone else out to prevent that from happening. So, people restrained themselves to ensure the city didn't turn into a crime spree zone during the black out.

What I'm saying is that if people are aware of a common danger that threatens everyone, they will co-operate to protect themselves and each other from that danger. If people know that ordinary air is more prone to seep out of their tires, they'll be more diligent about monitoring the air pressure in their tires, just as hockey players that aren't wearing helmets co-operate in keeping their sticks and pucks down for the benefit of everyone.

It's the psychology of the situation that dictates that people that are aware of a potential problem will monitor that situation more diligently than if they are less concerned about that problem.

Reply to
nestork

Probably has not changed, but with global warming there are no guaranties.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Ten bucks it ten bucks. I'd rather pay it at Starbucks than buying air for my tires.

Nitrogen is snake oil, one. It's already in the air, two.

Pay for it if you want, but you might as well light your money on fire.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

FOR THE RECORD I amnot against nitrogen. Nitorgen is good. It's not worth paying for. If the store wants to give it away, then buy your tires there. But if the tire store wants an other ten bucks or more, then pass.

Nitrogen is going to seep out and you will go to the gas station and use the machine to refill your tires, and this will dilute the nitrogen. After you put air into the tires a few times, you will have the same concentration of nitrogen that already exists in free air.

ALL I AM SAYING IS, DO NOT PAY FOR NITROGEN, and give peace a chance...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

And you think valve stems and road hazard insurance are free???? Obvious you've never been in the automotive service or tire business!!

Reply to
clare

Go into the tire business and see if you can make a living.

Reply to
clare

Says the guy who will pay $10 to "rent" a cup of coffee for an hour or so, then P!$$ it down the drain!!

Reply to
clare

If indeed these benefits to the dealer do exist, then it is "quite obvious" there is a benefit to the owner as well - which over the life of the tires is "definitely" worth $10.

Reply to
clare