Repairing worn out recliner footrest mechanism

The mechanism for my recliners footrest is worn out. I'm talking about the metel bars that form a scissor or acordian type of configuration. Where the rods are riveted together, the holes are worn and the rivets are very sloppy. So now the footrest does not lock back into the down position.

Question...Are these mechanisms replaceable? Has anyone repaired the metalwork by welding the holes shut and then redrilling and reriveting? I think this could be done but I wonder if accuracy when redrilling the rivet holes is a highly critical item.

Come on guys...I can't afford another recliner sofa. This thing has to be repairable.

Reply to
Daryl Helwig

if they have holes for rivets then dont fill them up with welding.. just cut the old rivets out and then put some new ones in.. if you cant find any then you might be able to use some bolts and nuts... just cut off any extra bolt sticking out into the path of the metal that it is blocking or look at the trash piles and see if someone through one out and use the metal off that one to replace yours... if that dont work it might be time to throw your out with the others...

Reply to
jim

If it's a Barcalounger, you can get the entire replacement mechanism free; though I'm not sure they will pay for its installation. Maybe it's the same with other manufacturers.

I have a beloved 25 year old Barcalounger whose reclining mechanism was rather "broken", due to heavy use and maybe just a bit of abuse. I contacted the dealer I bought the chair from. He told me the mechanism is guaranteed for life and contacted the manufacturer who sent a new mechanism. When I had the chair reupholstered, the upholsterer installed the new mechanism and the chair is like new.

Reply to
Ermalina

Get a replacement from the manufacterer. Once they wear out, there's not much you can do with them.

Reply to
ChairMan

Get a dog and get off your fat ass and go for a walk you are too fat, as everyone says, fatso

Reply to
mark Ransley

Daryl Helwig wrote, wondering if this is really what he meant?

who makes it? Try the manufacture of the chair. Get a hold of your nearest reupholster and see if he has any clues.

Reply to
Rich

Drill out the holes oversize to fit a standard bolt, and reassemble with bolts. However, if the bolt head and nut cause clearance problems, this isn't going to work. Oversize holes and larger rivets will work too, but it is harder to rivet things than bolt them.

Reply to
donald girod

replying to Daryl Helwig, John Hodges wrote: Yes repair it . I used door pin bushings for a car in the hole that was worn and drilled it with a step bit about 3/8 in . but the hole in them are 5/16 so the connecting arm is drilled for a 5/16 bolt . use a lock nut so the don't come loose . then sit back and relax .

Reply to
John Hodges