Repairing the roof truss

Page 3 of 3

Are plywood gussets always cut on site or can they be purchased off the shelf?
I assume those galvanized tie plates from Home Depot with lots of nail holes are not rigid enough as a gusset?
Thanks,
MiamiCuse wrote: ...

I've never seen anything precut, no; but then again, I've never looked...

It depends on the application and which you're actually talking about. For the bottom where apparently OP (or is that also you?) tore the nailing plates up for some reason the similar ones should work ok, but I figure it's as easy/simple to simply cut some plywood scraps for the job.
At the top to tie the two sides together to replace the broken chord I'd go w/ as large a section as I could conveniently get into the space.

Just cut a piece of plywood to cover the joints. Use construction adhesive and a bunch of long screws to hold it in place. It can be a simple rectangle. Use good wood screws, not drywall screws.
wrote in message

Yea, drywall screws are brittle since they are hardened. And those skinny ass necks (that are getting skinnier) don't help. Pretty soon they'll be nothing but a Phillips head pin
For applications where I want to make sure the screws don't snap I use the ones that are touted as won't break or strip. Floors, & decking I suppose they are geared for.
I was taken back by the fact that they are like 8.79 for a lb box. Then you look at drywall screws and they are just about $6. Don't know of any places around here that sell drywalls in bulk and you can just scoop a lb for 2/3 to 1/2 the cost of Borg bastards.

http://s173.photobucket.com/albums/w67/143house/framing/?action=view&current=originaltruss.jpg
You have taken a very bad situation and made it much worse by your well-intentioned repair efforts. I personally feel that your situation now is such that anything short of a professionally engineered solution is not worthwhile. Although there are probably lots of ways to make a satisfactory repair, any future inspections, insurance claims, or sales would likely fail without evidence of properly engineered evaluation and repair. The HVAC contractor has done major damage to a critical structural part of your home and fixing it is going to cost a lot of money. The only question is who is going to pay for it and the courts may have to decide that.
Don Young

I doubt anyone will recommend pulling out what holds the trusses together. I wouldn't, even if I thought I knew what I was doing. No one has the whole picture from a NG posting.

I would guess not too much. Teeth back in same holes are much weaker. Teeth in next to other vacant holes is not the same as teeth in virgin holes properly spaced.
BTW, please don't try going to the Borg to get new connectors. Those are not truss connectors in any way. Probably called joiners, mending plates or something like that. The few truss connectors I've seen are stamped with their rating like "MT20".
In some state they will not sell truss plates to non professionals simply because they don't want hacks using them. They are designed to be put in with presses. And they do not want to be sued I'm sure is another reason.
snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote in wrote:

As I previously posted, is a permit needed to alter/change a truss which is a key structural component? If so, did they get one? What inspector signed off on it.
That might have been MC's ace in the hole. Read the rest of the thread to get the whole story.

Just wondering if there was any more activity since the last thread posting.
Red...