Repairing the roof truss

Indeed. We should be congratulating the OP on having reduced the dead load on the building by the weight of the removed truss members.

I'm curious how you determine risk. The OP's house is in an hurricane alley. I was under the impression that no one really knew exactly where, when and how destructive a particular hurricane will be. It sounds as if you have some advance word that the OP's house is safe. As a regular I'm sure you are aware that the OP has been posting about his trials and tribulations as he progresses through the repairs and remodeling of his house. I am not sure what other modifications were made, and whether they were seat-of-the-pants or permitted. There are simply too many variables to say he doesn't have to worry. It might be just a viewpoint thing - it's his money at risk and not yours.

The risk v reward thing would indicate that the downside is substantial, while the repair would be fairly minimal - and most likely should be coming out of someone else's pocket. Even if the OP does a _perfect_ repair, the insurance company would look to weasel out of paying out. The modified truss gives them an easy out.

RicodJour

RicodJour wrote: ...

BS...

--

Reply to
dpb

Sorry, second line got erased inadvertently...

Can you or anybody else find any evidence of such minor modification (post repair) actually being the basis for a claim rejection?

--

Reply to
dpb

It's OK - senior moments can happen to anyone. ;)

That's even a flimsier excuse for denying a claim, but denied it was.

This one

\\2005\\03-2051&invol=3D1shows that an insurance company will walk away from damage resulting from a deliberate act of construction (in the linked to case, it involved cutting trusses, and of course there are some differences - the thrust still addresses your request).

It may not make sense to you, but it does happen. You do seem to be pretty casual about the OP's risk. The OP is the one who mentioned his concern about upcoming hurricanes. "However, the reality of the situation is, I need to fix this problem, as I don't know if another hurricane may hit south Florida some time in the next month while I sit on this, and that's why I tried to fix this last week after I saw what he did. I have to implement a remedy and worry about collection of that cost later." The OP is the one who is concerned about a hurricane damaging their house.

To the OP: Even if you're in a hurry, you should follow the process. By taking matters into your own hands and starting the repair on your own you've "bought" the situation as others have pointed out. It will probably be much harder to get satisfaction. Sending registered letters, getting quotes and informing the AC company of intended actions and dates makes future actions (small claims, lawsuit, repair) easier later.

RicodJour

even a flimsier excuse for denying a claim, but denied it was.

This one

\\2005\\03-2051&invol=1shows that an insurance company will walk away from damage resulting from a deliberate act of construction (in the linked to case, it involved cutting trusses, and of course there are some differences - the thrust still addresses your request).

These two cases do not answer the question. There were violations of law, poorly designed trusses from the outset (not a modification) There may be other factors "Alfa Insurance officials would not comment, citing client confidentiality"

In the second case, it is more than just roof trusses, but other workmanship and damage. Sounds like a contractual issue.

"During the installation process, Sigmund cut three roof trusses. Paulan alleges that the cutting of the roof trusses rendered the home structurally unsafe, prevented the completion of shingling the roof, left the home not properly protected from the weather, and as a result, the home could not be occupied for a significant period. Paulan claims that Sigmund breached the terms of the written proposal by failing to perform work in a good and workmanlike manner."

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

RicodJour wrote in news:b1f1fed9-1579-4e74-8080- snipped-for-privacy@s50g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

I checked my eyes in the mirror and they are not brown but I do have this nasty taste in my mouth. You're really close to being right.

Reply to
Red Green

snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

As I previously posted, is a permit needed to alter/change a truss which is a key structural component? If so, did they get one? What inspector signed off on it.

That might have been MC's ace in the hole. Read the rest of the thread to get the whole story.

Reply to
Red Green

"MiamiCuse" wrote in news:xZWdnVPd6NsnOEDVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@dsli.com:

Just wondering if there was any more activity since the last thread posting.

Red...

Reply to
Red Green

replying to Red Green, JimmmJ wrote: AC guy removed one of my trusses. I lived in the house for 10 years after, though multiple hurricanes. I didn’t have any problems. When I sold the house the inspector noted it, buyer asked for it to be repaired, I said no, and they bought the house anyway.

Reply to
JimmmJ

What do you do when there is already a load like an AC unit and the truss brakes directly underneath? Do I need to remove the load before I fix the truss? Also do I need to jack up where the weight went before I jack up where the truss broke?

Reply to
Gordie

Few possible ways to fix it. Yes, the weight has to be supported and jacked to proper height.

If you replace the section with the same size material chances are it will break again. You may be able to sister it on both sides with long enough pieces to extend all the way to the ends.

You may want to look if you can add a couple of vertical struts from the support to part above to spread the load.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Is this actually a truss of some kind or just a ceiling joist? If it's a joist, will be easier. You don't need to remove the load if you can get enough access to it, but with an AC sitting there, that seems doubtful. Generally, like Ed said, you sister it with two new joists on either side. You can also use metal plates that are the length and width of the joist and of sufficient thickness, with holes drilled in them, staggered along the span. Put one on each side and drill holes through the bad joist and bolt it up. It essentially forms a steel I beam.

Not sure what you mean by jack up where the weight went before jacking up the truss.

You might also be able to lift the AC unit up enough to get access without disconnecting refrigerant lines by temporarily supporting it using four roof rafters and suitable attachment with a couple of come along ratchets. All depends on what we can't see and how much this AC weighs. And make sure not to put any additional weight on the bad joist or support it from below during any repair.

Reply to
trader_4