Repairing site of old window treatment

I recent had some blinds changed out on my windows and now areas where the original brackets for the blinds on the top corners of the windows were are visible, and show both the old screw holes, unpainted surfaces, and a difference in surface heights between the unpainted and surrounding painted surface. Is the best option for repairing simply sanding the surface smooth, applying a filler to the holes, and repainting?