Repairing/sealing a very small hole in granite countertop?

We noticed our kitchen's granite countertop has a very small (grain size) chip/dent in it. Besides looks, I am afraid it may get larger.

What would be the best way to deal with it? Ignore? Try to seal it, and if so with what? Thanks.

Reply to
RPS

sorry,your countertop should be replaced,you can not solve the proplem comletely:)

Reply to
jop8088

Hi,

Go to a marble and rock place where you get kitchen counter tops. They have fillers that color match and can help you out. We had a similar issue in that when they fitted one counter top there was a 3 milimeter gap between the granite and the tile on one edge of the counter. The gap was also only about 2 cm in length. They fixed it by slipping in this filler compound. Not sure what it is but it looks pretty good and unless you look like from 4 inches away you will never notice it.

Best, Mike.

Reply to
hobbes

What hobbs said, its a 2 part epoxy with a colorant to match the top.

Reply to
RickH

Epoxy and sealer.

----------------------------------

mail3277198

hi,do you solve the trouble now:)

Reply to
jop8088

Mike, You seem to know about this experience I am hoping for some advice, My granite counter top of two years cracked from the edge to the "cut hole" where the drop in stove top was placed, it is a little over 2 inched long and all the way through top to bottom, they said they could come and "fix" it so that it looked ok, the crack will always be there, to the tune of $250 buck. YIKES Any thoughts? Thanks, sam

Reply to
lovethoseyankees

Why do you say that? I mean I am not sure about hese guys but I recently spent $5,000 on counter tops, I am interested in why you feel repair is a waste of time. Thanks, I have to make a decision on a more serious crack in my 2 year old counter. sam

Reply to
lovethoseyankees

Since granite is not uniform/homogeneous like Corian, etc, the filler idea should work fine. An exact color match should not be necessary.

My countertop cracked on a natural seam when the installer was cutting the sink opening. The place where it cracked was a very beautiful, though apparently weak, mineral deposit.

To fix it and prevent future cracks, he epoxied a metal strip all along the bottom edge along the front of the sink opening. He then filled in the crack with clear epoxy (thin, so it wicked into the crack) to stabilize and seal it, then sanded it smooth. We can't even see the crack!

Reply to
John Weiss

Whoever wrote that is clueless, just trying to stir the pot.

Your crack can be fixed relatively easily. The $250 you were quoted is probably not out of line if the work is done properly.

Reply to
John Weiss