Repairing scratches in hardwood floor

I just had my floor refinished and failed miserably attempting to be careful while moving the frig back in. The result is that I have scratched the floor in two areas. One area is more of a scuf, but is noticable. The other area, the scratch seems to be deeper. I've read where you can lightly sand the area, mix thinner and poly and apply. I have two questions on this procedure:
1. Does it matter if the poly is water based (or water borne - is there a difference)? Can I still mix with thinner?
2. Do I need to sand the scratches completely out? Or will the poly fill and hide?
If it helps, the floor is a white oak, with as I said, a water based (or borne) finish.
Thanks!
Rick
If it were me I would first call the refinish guys in to see if they have a suggestion before things were made worse.

If you're going to do it yourself make sure to recoat with water based urethane, preferably the same brand as the refinishers used.
Don't thin water based finish with mineral spirits, use the manufacturers recommended thinning proportions.
I'm guessing there's no stain on the floor but you still don't want to sand too deep, the refinishers probably used a seperate sealer & topcoat so if you sand all the finish off it may be harder to blend it.
I'd definitely suggest calling the contractor for advice & specific materials first.
Good luck. Adam