Repairing Pyrex?

The centre hand grip on a Pyrex lid has snapped clean off. The stem is round and about 1 cm across. Is there a practical way of reattaching it that will stand up to microwave oven conditions?

Cheers

Reply to
Mcnabster

This is very dubious. Superglue is probably the best candidate, but the heat stress in the microwave (plus the possibility that the glue itself may be subject to microwave heating) is likely to result in failure after some fairly short period of time. Add to this the possibility you will forget and put the item in the regular oven, and then consider the liklihood that whenever and wherever the joint fails, it will probably fail as you lift the lid off and and possibly drop to the floor and shatter--it sounds like a bad idea to try to fix it.

Replacement lids are obtainable, at a considerable price of course--I have found it cheaper just to get a new dish, especially at a flea market, garage sale, or the salvation army store.

Reply to
donald girod

If you happen to have a suitable kiln, you could fuse the two bits together. But then, I suspect you'd probably know.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Loctite 349 Impruv is supposed to be the best adhesive for glass. You apply the adhesive, hold (clamp) the parts together, then set the piece in the sun (it cures using UV). Although this may the best adhesive for glass, it has a few toxcity concerns and may be difficult to find in your area. Actually, my first thought is to replace the lid.

Reply to
Phisherman

No, not a kiln. You'd have to heat the whole thing and it would melt and distort before you got to the proper temperature to fuse the handle back on..

perhaps a hot torch would be better. John

Stirling.

Reply to
jriegle

No. Throw it out and get a new one.