repairing old windows

I'm looking for a practical guide to repairing old windows. I initially bought "Repairing Old and Historic Windows" by the New York Landmarks Conservancy, which pointed me in many of the right directions. However, it assumes a certain comfort level with woodworking and is written more for contractors and the property owners who hire them. I'm a homeowner with limited woodworking skills and resources. I know I could probably hire someone to do it, but I would really like to do it myself, perhaps over the course of a few years.
Any recommendations?
Thanks, joseph
Look for a course at a Technical School or a local College covering old home or repairs. But as always, getting your hands dirty is usually the best way to learn. You will make mistakes, it is your job to keep them small ones. What I try to do before any repair or rehab I undertake is think it out pretty thoroughly. Do a little research, ask tons of questions, especially to those older and wiser than me. Get the appropriate tools and have them with you when you start. (that's sort of like measure twice, cut once) I had an old-timer say to me once. "Nice tools ya got, make sure you bring em with ya". (Say it with a downeast accent) If you're reglazing.......well that's a whole nuther discussion. I would like to try one of those tools that connect to a drill for removing old glazing compound.
Dave