Repairing old Radio Shack equipment

Page 1 of 2
I have an old Radio Shack multi meter, 22-166A. I talked to Radio Shack about betting it fixed, and they said that for something this old I'm pretty much out of luck. Does anyone here know of a source of parts and repair for old Radio Shack equipment?
On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 14:24:26 -0800, "Zootal"

http://support.radioshack.com/productinfo/DocumentResults.asp?sku_id "-166&Name=Meters%20and%20Scopes&Reuse=N

A definite source? No. Doubt one exists.
I'd take it apart, see if you can spot the problem. If not an easy fix, try sci.electronics.repair. Someone there might know something we don't.
Good Luck, P

Depends upon what is wrong with the meter. It could be as simple as a blown internal fuse or something that would cost more to fix than the meter is worth.
Parts would be available at Radio Shack, or online: http://www.allelectronics.com / http://www.jameco.com http://www.alliedelec.com /

I don't know there part numbers by heart. What exactly is this. Digital, with a needle?

What he said. What's wrong with it? Does it work at all?
Is one setting not working? That could be a burned out resistor. It might say on the resistor what the value is, but if that part might be burned off. You maybe can measuere the resistor for the settings on either side, and the one burnt out with be the, I forget what you call it, but if the ones left are 20 ohms, 200, 20000, 200K, the one in the middle that is burned out is 2000.
Also www.mouser.com . Most parts don't have to come from Radio Shack.

On 2/27/2009 4:39 PM mm spake thus:

Problem is, you can't just drop a new resistor into a meter and call it done. The resistors inside them are high-precision: at least 1%, sometimes more, and sometimes weird, completely non-standard values. (You might get lucky and be able to replace one, but that's not a sure thing.)
We need to hear from the O.P. just what's wrong with the unit.
Besides, it may be that it just isn't worth it to fix it. Radio Shack (Micronta) multimeters are mediocre quality at best. Better to get a *real* meter, like an old Simpson, Triplett, etc.
--
Personally, I like Vista, but I probably won\'t use it. I like it

I wouldn't mind having an old Simpson. Those things are bricks - you can use them in place of a hammer and they still work :)
So - the fuse is not blown. The unit turns on (it's digital), display appears. I switch to ohms, the display shows 11M with the leads disconnected. If I plug in a set of test leads and squeeze the tips with my fingers, it shows an erratic display, indicating that it's trying to do something. I put a 12k resister across the leads, and it shows 10.00M with the ones digit flashing off and on. All other settings result in -1000v with the one flashing on and off. I put a battery across it, nothing. I put the leads across a 120vac source, nothing. It is effectively non-responsive except in ohms mode. There isn't much to this thing - it was not a high quality unit to start with, and there are only a handfull of components in it. There is no obvious sign of damage. Is it worth fixing? Probably not. But it belonged to my Father and it has some sentimental value. I'm willing to give it a shot.
The 22-166A is a small digital only meter. It has five settings, DC V, AC V, ohms, diode test, 200mA. There are no other settings or controls.
Zootal wrote:

Uh, have you replaced the battery?
On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 18:04:15 -0800, "Zootal"

If a digit is flashing off and on, get away from it. it's going to explode.

Hurry!!!!
I thought you said it was flashing off and on. That's when you have to worry.
I have saved everything my father had too, that my mother had saved. His shaving kit bag has been my sewing kit bag for the last 45 years.
I have his cane from 1936 Shriner's convention. His fez from some other Mason or Shriner event. His shirt collar, from the days when shirt collars were separate from the shirt. His spats. And his diplomas on the wall from 1912 (high school) and dental school. Etc.
I would want to save this too, but I can't help you fix it.
On 2/27/2009 6:04 PM Zootal spake thus:

You've answered your own question there. Probably the majority of the circuit, including what's damaged, is in one ASIC (application-specific integrated circuit). Not a replaceable part.
Get a new meter.
--
Personally, I like Vista, but I probably won\'t use it. I like it

Maybe it's not as old as I thought. I cut my teeth back then TTL was TheNextBigThing and these surface mount new fangled things hadn't been invented yet. I still have a couple hundred old 14 and 16 pin TTL chips laying around. This meter has the NJU9207F, and I don't have the equipment to replace it. <sigh>....
"Zootal" wrote:

I have the 22-166B model, which I bought back in the mid nineties IIRC. Still works, although I've gone through a few sets of leads and fuses on it of course. There was also an incident with a battery that leaked solution all over the inside of the thing, but after cleaning it up it's still running strong.
Not my primary meter any longer, but I still use it when I need to use multiple meters to measure something.
Jon
On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 23:16:58 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com

Pots? Have you seen inside a DMM made in the last twenty years? They don't have any potentiometers.
The only thing worth checking is the battery connection and the fuse.
Otherwise, replace the part called "DMM". Runs about $10 and is a 100% replacement.
On 2/27/2009 11:46 PM AZ Nomad spake thus:

$10? I got my last one for *$3* at Harbor Freight! Has more functions than the O.P.'s broken one.
--
Personally, I like Vista, but I probably won\'t use it. I like it
On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 23:16:58 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote:

4+ hours left now, but there is no Buy it Now. I didn't think that would happen, especially since it's still only 1 bidder at 30 dollars.

Some dweeb will buy it for 50 cents more than your maximum bid in the last 3 seconds of the auction. Happens every single time.
On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 13:51:13 -0600, AZ Nomad

What I meant was, if it once had Buy it Now, why doesn't it have it anymore?

I have had that. A totally new bidder outbid me with 2 seconds left.
On another occasion, I wasn't crazy about something, but would have bought it if I had known I'd be the only bidder, for 5 dollars. But no one bid on it! Two weeks later it was back, and it seemed likely no one woudl bid, but I still worried about those 3 second guys.
But I was the only bidder.
On 2/28/2009 3:13 PM mm spake thus:

You do know about sniping, right?
--
Personally, I like Vista, but I probably won\'t use it. I like it
On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 16:24:59 -0800, David Nebenzahl

So that's what you call it. I guess I know now. Thanks.
I looked it up and it seems there is also software to do this. That would account for how they are able to make it so close to the end.
On 2/28/2009 7:33 PM mm spake thus:

In fact, that's the only way to do it. (I suppose if you had a super-high-speed connection that was reliable, and had lightning-quick reflexes, you *could* do it manually.)
--
Personally, I like Vista, but I probably won\'t use it. I like it