Repairing my A/C unit's fan motor

I have an old GE air conditioner outside that is giving a 60Hz hum from the fan motor without turning. I can get it going manually, but it is fighting against me when the motor is actively trying to run.
This is an old unit, but it has been well-behaved otherwise. It came with the house, so the only thing I know is what I got from the inside cover. I have a charging chart that is for BGTA742B21b/B1BG and BTB942A199A. Do these numbers refer to the whole unit? I am trying to narrow down the model information since I think the old sticker has long worn off.
I assume a Sears appliance store would have replacement parts. I used to have a twin washer/dryer with a GE motor that one here stocked.
I also wonder if the motor could be salvaged, but I assume not.
Take the capacitor to an HVAC parts house, get it tested.
On Oct 7, 7:32 pm, Adam Preble <adamDOTprobleATgmailDOTcom> wrote:

Adam Preble wrote:

Hi, It's not the motor. Most likely starting cap has gone bad. Replacement does not cost much. Just make sure when you work on it, turn the power off to the unit.
"Adam Preble" <adamDOTprobleATgmailDOTcom> wrote in message

Look at the motor itself. If should say things like 48 frame or 56 frame and 1/3 HP and 1140 rpm or similar.

Sure, Sears may have them along with the Vaseline needed when they quote the price. Try www.grainger.com or www.mcmaster.com or a local motor supply house.

Probably not. It may or may not be the motor though. Start capacitors can also create similar problems so get that tested.