Repairing leaks in evaporative cooler pan/tray

The cooler on the roof of my trailer works fine, but the pan/tray underneath it has many holes, some big enough to put my finger through. I tried fixing it by applying the stuff that is sold to repair such leaks (something like tar) to the metal and then binding it together by covering it with plastic screening. That didn't work. I guess the problem is really twofold: First, finding all of the leaks, and then patching them. Any ideas? Oh, replacing the entire pan/tray with a new one would seem to be the perfect solution, but I haven't seen such parts available on the Internet. Can they be purchased separately?

Warren

Reply to
nikurashi

Hi, Sheet metal shop may rig one up?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Reply to
Italian Mason

To replace the pan (bottom), it has to be a replacable pan. To determine if it is, see if it is bolted to the upright supports. If there are no screws or bolts it is not replaceable. If there are, then try to find out who the manufacturer isand contact them for the replacement pan.

If you can't find a drop-in pan liner from a local store (they are getting harder to find), try a piece of sheetmetal or rigid fiberglass. Seal around the edges with a "plumbers epoxy" putty. If you put the patch on the inside you will have to clean the pan where patch edges will be so the epoxy will stick. To cut a hole for the overflow tube, use a hammer and chisel or screwdriver and punch around the area where the hole needs to be. Seal this hole with epoxy putty.

To learn more service and repair information on evaporative coolers, visit:

Larry Galpin The Cooler Doctor

Service, Repair & Enhance the Performance of Your Cooler Yourself and Save $100s Every Year!

Reply to
coolerdoctor

[...]

replying to nikurashi, Roger wrote: Try using a small section of rubber pond or pool membrane .. Check out your local pool supply...the May have some small prices of rubber liner that you can make a custom liner ...

Reply to
Roger