Repairing leaks in evaporative cooler pan/tray

The cooler on the roof of my trailer works fine, but the pan/tray underneath it has many holes, some big enough to put my finger through. I tried fixing it by applying the stuff that is sold to repair such leaks (something like tar) to the metal and then binding it together by covering it with plastic screening. That didn't work. I guess the problem is really twofold: First, finding all of the leaks, and then patching them. Any ideas? Oh, replacing the entire pan/tray with a new one would seem to be the perfect solution, but I haven't seen such parts available on the Internet. Can they be purchased separately?
Warren

Hi, Sheet metal shop may rig one up?
they make a plastic insert for these that just slides in. I suppose you could try a piece of plexy glass cut to the dimentions of the pan and then tar the edges really well. The question is...given the condition of the rest of the cooler is the pan replacment worth it? I know once those things go the whole thing isnt far behind? snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net wrote:

To replace the pan (bottom), it has to be a replacable pan. To determine if it is, see if it is bolted to the upright supports. If there are no screws or bolts it is not replaceable. If there are, then try to find out who the manufacturer isand contact them for the replacement pan.
If you can't find a drop-in pan liner from a local store (they are getting harder to find), try a piece of sheetmetal or rigid fiberglass. Seal around the edges with a "plumbers epoxy" putty. If you put the patch on the inside you will have to clean the pan where patch edges will be so the epoxy will stick. To cut a hole for the overflow tube, use a hammer and chisel or screwdriver and punch around the area where the hole needs to be. Seal this hole with epoxy putty.
To learn more service and repair information on evaporative coolers, visit: www.easycoolercare.com
Larry Galpin The Cooler Doctor
Service, Repair & Enhance the Performance of Your Cooler Yourself and Save $100s Every Year!