Repairing leak in 2" steam return line pipe running along basement floor

Page 2 of 2

When I had a new steam boiler installed (3300 sq ft, 3 story house) several years ago, the plumbers replaced the low return lines with copper. These are the low lines at floor level (floor that the boiler sits on!) that normally always have water in them rather than steam. I believe they used 1 inch copper, possibly 1.25" I can't measure it right now as I no longer live at that house. It works fine. Your building may have a bigger system and maby not be able to use the smaller pipe.