Repairing foundation under a sidewalk

I live in a home which was built 1 year ago. The cement walkway from the driveway to the front porch is intact. However, the soil next to the sidewalk and extending under it right where the sidewalk hits the brick porch is eroded. If you look under the sidewalk you can see that there is a hole extending 2 feet toward the middle of the sidewalk and even under the bricks of the porch steps.
Since picking up the actual sidewalk and putting in a better foundation is presumably out of the question, what is the best way to fill in this defect? What should I put there--gravel? Dirt? How does one ensure that the entire space is filled?
Thanks!
Matt wrote:

Mudjacking. Google it or look at this site:
http://tinyurl.com/ys4qvc
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

dirt on top. The cause is most likely due to settling from the overdig when your foundation was poured. I hope you did not put a bunch of fancy landscaping up against the foundation of the house. It will sink on you if it was not settled properly first. (doubtful)