Repairing fence posts with brackets

Does anyone have experience with these steel brackets designed to repair rotten fence posts? Are they as wonderful as their propaganda would have me believe? What pitfalls should I be aware of should I choose to use them? Are they worth the effort?

For those who don't know what I'm referring to... these are 2 steel brackets designed to snuggly fit on each side at the base of the rotten fence. They are to be driven between the fence post and the concrete pier encasing the post.

Thanks in advance for the help Giz

Reply to
Giznawz

Think of them as a quick'n'dirty repair to keep the livestock from wandering off, until you have the time/money/nice day to repair the post properly. Eventually, as the rot progresses, the post will still fail. Like nailing a flattened tin can over the hole in the porch floor. And when you do the replacement, don't trap a wood post in concrete unless bottom of pier lets water drain and top is mounded to encourage runoff. Just sticking wood, even treated wood, in concrete means that the bottom of post never drys out. Deep hole and gravel work better.

aem sends....

Reply to
ameijers

G > Does anyone have experience with these steel brackets designed to repair G > rotten fence posts? Are they as wonderful as their propaganda would have m

G > believe? What pitfalls should I be aware of should I choose to use them? G > Are they worth the effort? G > G > For those who don't know what I'm referring to... these are 2 steel G > brackets designed to snuggly fit on each side at the base of the rotten G > fence. They are to be driven between the fence post and the concrete pier G > encasing the post.

Not sure if this is what you are talking about but what we used here for years for an 8' privacy fence panel was a steel bracket: 4" square bracket at the top, ~14" pointed end into the dirt. Panel stayed solid for years. Reason for removal: new neighbours finished their fence so their dogs would stay in the back yard.

  • Abortion in Prague....Cancelled Czech
Reply to
barry martin