Repairing Door Frame/Trim

I know this is going to sound like a crazy question, but I'm looking for suggestions on how to "repair" the molding/trim around my doors. My cat decided to use a couple of them as his scratching post. Some have deeper scratches than others. I really don't think I would need to replace these. I'm hoping a little sanding, possible a litle wood filler will take care of it, but was going to see if anyone else had any ideas?!?!?!
Thanks!!
B-Worthey

You probably want to get a little tool they make to get exact traces of the outline of the trim. This is one of those things that's very difficult to describe in words. The tool is like a set of pins held together, and you press it against the trim - the pins slide to form a perfect profile of the trim. Then you trace this onto some stiff cardboard. You then have a "trowel" that exactly matches the trim profile. Throw some wood filler or spackle on there and smooth it over with the cardboard. Voila, restored.
Someone please chime in with the name of this thing.
jeffc wrote:

Jeff,
You had the name, in so many words. It's called a "profile gauge"
http://www.fine-tools.com/kontur.htm

No, I get what you are saying about that. The trim doesn't have that much detail and I don't think I will have to sand it down that much . I dont' think I would need that, but I will look into it. Thanks for the info though. Hopefully I am on the right track.
B-Worthey
This is one of those things that's very difficult to

flexible putty knife (maybe even a plastic one from the auto body repair aisle), and a little sanding, will get this smooth enough to paint in short order. Now if the trim has a clear finish, this does get a lot harder to make look right- I'd be inclined to go buy a few sticks of ranch or colonial or whatever casing, and just retrim the door- about as cheap and less work.
aem sends...
On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 20:48:51 -0500, "bworthey"

Your are on the right track. There are many fillers. Look for something that might look like a crayon in the piant section, locally. -- Oren