Repairing concrete driveway expansion joints

Hi. What's the best way to repair the expansion joints in a concrete driveway, where the fiber board has deteriorated ? I was thinking of using backer rods and regular or roofing caulk in a tube.

Is the black roofing caulk any better than the stuff in the concrete section of the store ?

Is sand an alternative to the backer rods ? I have about 10 joints to fill, and sand would be a lot cheaper.

I thought about using the expanding insulating foam. It says it is for interior & exterior use, but I wonder how it would hold up in a driveway application.

Thanks for the input.

Reply to
Don S