Repairing broken fence posts?

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to the best way to go about repairing 6' wooden fence posts. There are two broken at the base. Otherwise the fence is in very good shape (no rot, etc.). How labor intensive is this task (I'm doing it solo - no choice)? What sort of tools do I need? What sort of materials? Any publications that are superior to others (such as the Home Depot books)? What is a reasonable cost for the job? Any feedback is appreciated. -O

Reply to
Ovid

The best way is to dig up the posts and replace them.

Failing that, depending on how much is left of the posts around the break, get one of those long drill bits they use for electrical work, and a 3' metal rod one size bigger. You'll also want a 5# mallet/hammer, some epoxy, and a large plastic lawn ornament.

Drill matching 15" holes in the post and base. Hammer the rod into the lower hole. COat the top surface of the stub with epoxy. Hammer the post down to fit. Glue any remaining shards into position.

Cut the back out of the large plastic lawn ornament so that it fits around the post, thus hiding the hack-job.

--Goedjn

Reply to
Goedjn