Repairing an outdoor handrail

I have a rusted handrail that I would like to renovate and then most likely have reinstalled by a professional. Would this be a job for a welder?

But meanwhile, what should I do? I assume I need to get a drill/sander. I own a DeWalt 3/8" drill with max RPM of 2,500, and my understanding is that this isn't good enough for the sanding attachment required.

After the sanding issue is taken care of, is there any particular treatment required before applying a fresh coat of paint?

Thanks

Reply to
Koons

You might want to have it bead blasted or cleaned and then powder-coated. I did this with some of the railings on my ChrisCraft.

Reply to
G Henslee

If the rail is removeable and transportable, I would take it to a metal refinishing shop, saving you considerable labor and pick-up costs. Refinishing in place, depending on condition, can be messy, and a rotary drill sander is likely to leave scratches, and not get into all the crannies.. For a reasonable cost, a metal shop will sandblast off the rust and old paint, then prime it with metal primer, Then you can reinstall, fine sand, and do the final coat of exterior rust-resistant oil-based or alkyd enamel. Whether the rail is readily removable is determined by how it is attached to steps, wall, etc. Even a neighborhood car body shop might do the sandblasting work for you, if you know them well enuf.

Reply to
Roger Taylor

is one option, followed by two coats of finish paint.

Another option would be to have the railing galvanized before painting. You could bring it to a shop, or use one of the mil-spec cold galvanizing paints.

RicodJour