Repairing a sliding glass door

Page 2 of 3

If you had a properly installed Anderson sliding doors, you should of had minimal problems, even if they are 30 yrs old.
The room that you built might have settled over the opening causing problems.

You are in love with those abortions, fine. I am not but then I am pragmatic. I look for "function" over 'design'. Sliders fail on the 'simple solution', much simpler to put in a standard door to accoplish its purpose.
Harry K

Where did I say I was "in love with them"? I'm simply posting my knowledge of them after many yrs in the glass business.
What I don't understand is why you are paying $1,200.00 for a standard door. You could buy a damn nice set of French doors for that much money.

Which is exactly what I priced.
Harry K

Yes it was insstalled correctly and is still four square after all these years. The maintenance on it is about what can be expected from any sliding type equipment over that span of years and the _really_ mickey mouse lock mechanism. The ending point is the seals. No matter how good the installation is you are still stuck with jus a very thin "brushes" to seal it.
My point is that everythign on a slider is a poor solution/choice over a standard door or french door.
Curious. Do you have or had a slider? Most people I have talked to over the years about the subject who lived with one swore they would never do it again give a choice.
Harry K

The new Anderson, wood, double pane, sliding glass doors are very nice and 10 times better then the aluminum sliding doors from 30 yrs ago.

I prefer the composite frames (fiberglass ?) and metal clad doors. No need to maintain the wood :-/
(Andersen doors are great)

Have to agree with that. My BIL in Canada had the wooden, modern version. He also got tired of it (never said why) and replaced with french doors. I suspect that was more a case of 'style' vice maintenance tho as he didn't have the slider very many years.
Harry K

No maintenance. Natural wood that is sealed.
On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 08:04:49 -0700 (PDT), Harry K

I thought about replacing my current slider, 5 years ago with double french doors. I would have except one stationary window could have possibly been hit by a swinging door. I declined. The slider is 12 years old and the only work it has needed was new rollers and screen on the single screen door.
Thankfully, SWMBO hauled the screen to a shop and they replaced the rollers and screen. Works great!
I even had an Andersen 8' door in the garage (stored). The problem was the operator was on the wrong side, so I wasn't about to install it backwards :)

Yes. Three of my previous homes all have sliders (two were rentals) - the screen was the only thing really needing repair.
A 30 year old slider? I can see it being a pain, but some adjustment, repair or clean-up is a not a good reason the swear off all sliding doors. IMHO

Ah yes, sliding glass doors. The guy who invented those abortions should be hung!. My wife insisted on one when I put on a big additions. I argued against it but lost. We have _both_ been cussing it for 30 years and I am about to bit the bullet and replace with a standard door at a cost of around $1200. Yes, ours was one of the quality brands.
Constant cleaning of the track, reepeated 'replace the rollers' fun, hard to securely lock, pee poor seals at best, etc., etc.
Harry K
DITTO...Especially here in New England...There are a HUGE heat loss as well...Repaced mine and the living room is MUCH MUCH warmer...Put in a full view entry door..Best thing I ever did...Did all the work myself so the only cost was 200 bucks for the new door and small roll of insulation...Had left over vinyl siding and I do drywall for a living...

Have you tried to adjust the rollers? Sometimes that is all it needs. Are you sure the track is bad? If so, yes, the above works just fine, but don't buy it from CR Laurence! Go to a glass shop and get one along with the rollers. I didn't even know that CRL starting selling to the public. It used to be for commercial buyers only.
Ron wrote:

crl still doesn't sell to the public. that link is for a reseller. it states that the manufacturer is crl, but crl doesn't make them either

You're right...I didn't even notice. Just saw the CRL logo.

I made my door work a lot better just by tightening the screws at each end, that lowered the wheels and raised the door.

Is it worn down? Put a straight edge along the top the middle ridge. Even rumbling wheels won't wear down the track I think. Pulling the door open with no wheels, scraping the door along the track, would do it.

I don't get it. When you click on Larger Image, it shows two designs, two covers for two sizes of sill. But there is only one part number.

It snaps over the round part of the track. Some tracks are taller then others.
On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 15:35:46 -0700, Ron wrote:

There are two part numbers on the enlarged view. The tall one is 6702A the short one is 6701A.

Yep, good eye. Last time I installed one (in the late 80's) it was one size fits all. I was strictly autoglass after 1989, well except fot one yr when I got "drafted" to build and install shower doors and help install mirror walls.
On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 19:09:00 -0400, your kind of guy

http://tinyurl.com/ybuo5za

Ah, you're right. I didn't have my glasses on and didn't notice that.
And there's also a whole page that discusses the difference: http://www.slidingglassdoorparts.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=8
However you stil have to be careful. The page above is for the small rail topper. The OP doesn't say otherwise. She says, "for example" There must be another page on that site somewhere that sells the large version.
Have you tried spraying everything sight with a silicon or teflon spray? The stuff works wonders.