Repairing a sliding glass door

Page 1 of 3

One of my sliding glass doors has become really difficult to open - it does not glide smoothly, despite the track being clean. Based on the rumbling noise when it rolls along, it is obviously time to replace the rollers. The current rollers are maybe 13 years old, and the track is 20 years old.
From some web pages I've looked at, it is futile to replace the rollers if the track is worn down. Has anyone tried a rail topper to fix the track, for example: http://tinyurl.com/ybuo5za
Jean

Is your track worn? It should be fairly easy to tell, just compare the middle with the ends where the door rollers do not reach.
Jean wrote:

Yes. Installation is trivial and the results outstanding.
Hint: Get a tube of "Liquid Steel" and fill in the dips in the track before installing the rail topper.
These rail toppers are made of stainless steel and should easily outlive the original aluminum track. Mine cost about $9.00 for an eight-foot wide door, not the $58 this thieving web site wants.
I know it's more difficult, but check locally: Glass repair shops, door stores, etc. Report back - I'd like to know how much money you saved!

Are these outside doors, or shower doors, or what???

yes. i have used these on an external door that is very large (double pane, 4'x10') and heavy. the track collapsed shortly after first install. they replaced the sill/track and used a heavy steel tracktopper. it's been 8 years now, and the track hasn't worn at all. the door is still very heavy.
regards, charlie cave creek, az

Are these outside doors, or shower doors, or what??? ------------------------------
Sliding glass patio doors.

Ah yes, sliding glass doors. The guy who invented those abortions should be hung!. My wife insisted on one when I put on a big additions. I argued against it but lost. We have _both_ been cussing it for 30 years and I am about to bit the bullet and replace with a standard door at a cost of around $1200. Yes, ours was one of the quality brands.
Constant cleaning of the track, reepeated 'replace the rollers' fun, hard to securely lock, pee poor seals at best, etc., etc.
Harry K

Doesn't sound to me like it was a "quality" door if you had that many problems with it. They are usually problem free for yrs. Usually just need to adjust the rollers. You could always replace it with an Anderson.

Did you miss the "30 years" bit?
Replace it with and Anderson? It was an Anderson (I just looked).
Harry K

No, I didn't.

So your existing sliding doors are Anderson's made out of wood?

Nope, aluminum. You seem to think that replaceing rollers 2x in 30 years would be unreasonable? also on my third (laugh) "lock" handle, 2nd, so called 'screen' (it needs replaceing again). When you have pets doors get a _lot_ of use.
Harry K

You said "reepeated 'replace the rollers".
You had to replace the rollers only twice in 30 yrs and you're complaining? And yes, the locks are a POS, but for a couple of bucks you could have bought a metal lock pin that goes through both doors to keep them locked.
http://www.idealtruevalue.com/servlet/the-61459/Detail

You _do_ realize that you are making my case? How many times have you had to replace anyting (perhaps the lock set) on a standard door. Then advise to buy and aftermarket fix for the pee poor design (lock). And are in a thread discussing _how to fix_ a slider.
Continue your love affair with the abortion. I can see no advantage at all to a slider and a lot of drawbacks.
Harry K

First I was "in love with them", now I'm "having a love affair" with them.
Again, I'm simply posting my knowledge of them after many yrs in the glass business. I'm trying to help the OP, you aren't. I dunno why you even bothered posting to this thread in the first place.
Do you expect everything to last forever w/o any maintenance? I've had to replace wore out door knobs, hinges and seals on standard doors before. Not to mention having to replace an entire door due to warping.
I'm glad I'm not driving your car, which obviously never has to have any parts replaced or maintenance.
I hope you plan on buying fiberglass French doors so they last you the rest of your life.
EOT for me to you.

Suits me. You obviously are a fan of those abortions.
Harry K
On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 14:10:13 -0700 (PDT), Harry K

Maybe the problem was a poor quality install? Sure beats all the cussing when installed correctly.

Or, the house could have settled causing problems.

30 Years?! Of cussing?

Like I said, sliding glass doors are usually problem free for yrs. I dunno why he had problems for 30 yrs. Not installed correctly? Room / house settled after installation? The opening wasn't correct to begin with?
Don't shoot the helper. lol

Yep, properly installed.
Harry K