repairing a section of a textured wall

Someone pushed a chair into the wall beneath a window. Some of the textured wall surfacing was knocked off, and some remains on the wall but is loosened from the drywall surface. I know how to mud and texture the bare spot, but I was wondering if there is any way to "reattach" the portion that has separated from the drywall ...or, do I have to remove the loose section?

Thanks,

Jean

Reply to
Jean

From previous experience, once it has pulled away, I've found it's better to just scrape it off and retexture.

Robin

Reply to
rlz

From previous experience, once it has pulled away, I've found it's better to just scrape it off and retexture.

Robin

Ditto...Remove all loose stuff ...

Reply to
benick

This could be done, although it may not be easy to replicate the texture. Practice on some throw-away drywall until you get what looks good.

Reply to
Phisherman

White glue in a large hypodermic needle assembly to squirt up and behind the loose texturing has saved my butt more than once.

Reply to
hrhofmann

White glue in a large hypodermic needle assembly to squirt up and behind the loose texturing has saved my butt more than once.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"White glue" as in Elmer's glue? Did you have to get glue behind every bit of the loose stuff or would it be sufficient to just glue down the edges? Thanks for the creative suggestion, I'll try it.

Jean

Reply to
Jean

Seems to me that you would want to apply the glue to as much of the surface area as possible.

Glueing just the edges will leave the field loose and subject to vibration, hits, etc. The area will certainly be more fragile if you just glue the edges.

Maybe some spray adhesive, if you could get it behind the loose section neatly?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Seems to me that you would want to apply the glue to as much of the surface area as possible.

Glueing just the edges will leave the field loose and subject to vibration, hits, etc. The area will certainly be more fragile if you just glue the edges.

Maybe some spray adhesive, if you could get it behind the loose section neatly?

Jesh , you have to texture the "bare spot" anyways...Just knock the loose stuff off and re-do it right...No need to make it more complicated than it needs to be...In the time you spent on here it could be done already...

Reply to
benick

Home Depot has textured wall liner made of something akin to tyvek.

It is a paintable tough wallpaper that has saved me many times.

But I get into trouble if I just use the wettable adhesive gumming. Better to get a wallpaper glue that matches the application. With just water, it is never smooth enough. You have to agressively massage the bubbles out, and do it again every few minutes.

It is especially useful if the texturing has asbestos.

- = - Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist

---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}--- [Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards] [Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Phooey on GUI: Windows for subprime Bimbos]

Reply to
vjp2.at