Repairing a KitchenAid stand mixer

My wife has a KitchenAid Professional 600 watt stand mixer. I started giving her poor performance and making a clunking sound, so I opened it up.

For such a beefy machine, the transmission housing is plastic! It's all cracked to hell. And unfortunately, the worm gear is stripped.

I found the parts at Sears: $13 for the housing, but $30 for the gear. I hate to spend $50 with shipping to get another plastic housing. Anyone know of a cheaper source?

Reply to
Mitch

search the web.

For example:

AZ Nomad

I know, but the prices vary wildly. That's why I was wondering if some of you who are in the know when it comes to appliance parts has a favorite place to buy from.

Reply to
Mitch

Did you try KitchenAid? I needed the metal plate that the mixing bowl attaches to, and it was reasonable and came quickly. I also used them for the wire beater, and same results. It has been awhile though.

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

I just sent them an email through their website. I'm going to put the mixer back together and wait to hear from them before I spend $50 for the parts.

Reply to
Mitch

There's a funny typo there. As it is, it sounds like it was you rather then the mixer that was giving her poor performance and making a clunking sound.

[snip]
Reply to
Gary H

To put things into perspective, $50 is not bad to fix anything nowadays. Forget it you need to have it serviced elsewhere - I'll bet its cheaper to buy a new one as it was the case with my new weed whacker that was refused under warranty.

My refrigerator broke and would have cost around $500 for a 10 minute service charge to replace a $90 part would it not for the recall. A friend's main circuit breaker went bad and cost him $800 to have it replaced - $40 for parts and under 15 minutes to replace. He already told the electrician that the main was bad but was still charged $250 for diagnostics on top of the $100 plus traveling cost. Service charges are getting crazy out here.

Reply to
<Frank>

I don&#39;t know if this is the same mixer that you have, but it shows a metal housing, and it&#39;s 2.5 times the price.

RicodJour

LOL! You&#39;re right.

Reply to
Mitch

Yes, it is the right one. THANKS! That&#39;s a great price for metal, considering the cost of the plastic one. Definitely the weak link of the machine.

Reply to
Mitch

I would forget repairing the mixer.........what year is it?

My suggestion is buy a low mileage (most are) mixer &#39;cuz lots of people get them for wedding presents & don&#39;t use them much.

I would suggest a unit made ~1980-ish on ebay. Either a K45 or a K5A.

My mom had one from the 1950&#39;s, my dad worked for Hobart for a while. That one went to my lab the early 90&#39;s after having sat in the garage for a long time. My mom got a new one early 80&#39;s I think. Mine is from ~1978. Both sisters have 1970&#39;s models (one cooks, the other doesn;t) I got a spare ~1970 model on ebay. And I&#39;ve got my eye on my mom&#39;s. :)

All have given great service, no trouble....I did repack the gear boxes on my two machines in the early 2000&#39;s. Metal housings & gears.

My wife used it a lot more when the kids were still here by she still bakes a fair amount.

The fact that the mixer self-destructed leads me to >>>>>>> don&#39;t waste your time & money on a repair, might happen again,

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

[...]

*********** I&#39;ve had my KitchenAid for almost 25 years, and no problems except the metal plate that holds the bowl, and the wire whip finally broke.

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

KItchenAid is now part of Whirlpool. Nuf sed

Reply to
Charlie
[snip]

I remember having a cheap watch that came with a lifetime warranty. You could return it to the manufacturer (in China?) for repair or replacement at any time, enclosing $5.95 for postage and handling.

A new watch cost $2.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Generally speaking, these things are not readily available for KitchenAid stuff. Or is overpriced.

Reply to
zzyzzx