Repairing A Hole In Wood Siding ?

Hi,
Have the typical horiz. wood clapboards on house. Have noticed that one of them has about a 2 inch diameter all the way thru it. Looks like, perhaps, an animal was trying to get in.
Anyway, would like to repair the hole, and re-paint it, rather than replacing the complete piece of siding, which is probably 6 or 9 feet in length.
What product would you suggest for plugging the hole ? Would I be able to smooth out the surface after using it ?
Any thoughts or hints would be most appreciated.
Thanks, Bob
Add pictures here
✖

Min-Wax Wood Epoxy.
Multiple fills, with a final 'delicate' sanding to blend it in.
Add pictures here
✖
Clean and sand, as best you can, the backside of the clapboard. Insert a slat of wood (1/2" ply 6" long) behind the hole, with glue on each the slat & the clapboard surface, and hold it in place by screwing another slat, laid on the outside face, to the inside slat. The screw, when tightened, will pull the inside slat tight against the backside of the clapboard. Once the inside glued slat has dried to the clapboard, you have a solid back foundation to help install any filler or plug type repair. *Insert the screw into the outside slat, in prep for the attachment to the inside slat.
Add pictures here
✖

You might already have an animal in there, like a rat or mouse. The right way is to remove the siding on both sides of the hole, by the studs. Replace that piece probably 16". However, a piece of tin does wonders. with some epoxy under it, and a few small screws. Then use some Bondo to smooth over it. Be sure to fill the hole with insulation before patching if it goes deep in wall.
Add pictures here
✖
On Apr 27, 5:32 pm, snipped-for-privacy@toyotamail.com wrote:

Once you're sure there is nothing trapped, plain old automobile Bondo works fine, easy to sand smooth, sticks well, takes paint well.
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 27 Apr 2012 19:55:34 -0700 (PDT), "hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net"

A 2" hole is pretty large for just bondo. If it was my job, I'd probably try to replace that piece of siding, but if there was no replacement available, I'd fill the hole with "Great Stuff" foam, then nail & glue tin over it, then apply the bondo. Large sections of bondo like to crack.
Actually, to apply the tin, I'd countersink it 1/16 inch. Just carve the surface off with a utility knife or use a router if possible.
Add pictures here
✖