Repair wrought iron railing?

Page 2 of 2

It's incredible what they want (notice I didn't say GET) today for ornamental metal. I won't call it wrought iron, because it's paper and glue in comparison.
When I got married about five years ago, my wife wanted two new security doors, about eight feet wide and seven feet high. They wanted $1600 each. I said I'd buy a welder and some tools and do it for less. I did so, and made all kinds of other gates and things. Saved money and still own the equipment. I was a steel erection contractor for nine years. I understand there's a lot of hidden costs and there still has to be a profit margin. But on some jobs, it comes down to simple robbery.
And greed.