Repair window screens

A careless tenant made holes in the bottom middle of the window screen at the point where it attaches to a (nail) (screw) (whatever) in the window sill. He did it at the bottom, then reversed the screen and did it at the top. (*(*&&^%$

I'm thinking to cut out pieces from an old screen and "glue" them to the affected areas, after trimming the loose stuff.

Before I go to the trouble, does this August Body think it will work -- and if so, should I just use white glue, or what else?

TIA

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Take screen to any local hardware store. They'll replace the screen for you.

What's with the half-assed approach? You can just cover the windows with plywood too.

Replacing screens isn't that hard for most DIY folks.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Yes, just re-screen it.

The fabric & spine are cheap, as is the roller tool, which can be used in the future.

Search YouTube... there are bunches of how to videos on the subject.

Erik

Reply to
Erik

A careless tenant, I'm shocked...shocked I tell ya. Patch it or take the screen off and store it till they move out then have it fixed and put it back, or have it fixed now and put the bill on next month's rent so he won't be so careless next time. The sooner they learn the less it will cost you.

Reply to
Fat-Dumb and Happy

They're gone, thank hevvins. Many problems, much bigger than a mere screen.

I used to have one of those screen tools around the garage somewhere but not worth tearing that junkyard apart to find it.

OK, will ask OSH price to rescreen and if too much, will try mickey mouse repair.

Hope white glue will work. Dunno what else???

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Like they all said, it's trivially easy to replace screens:

Here's how I did it:

  1. Buy a roll of screening & a roll of the rubber tubing
  2. Buy the pizza cutter (and, if needed, plastic corners)
  3. Remove old rubber tubing and old screen
  4. Replace with new screen and new rubber tubing

Voila!

Reply to
Danny D.

I agree, replacing the screen is trivial. A second person to hold the screen tight while you are rolling the edging into the groove ,akes it really easy.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Shyte! I just priced rescreening a 3x5 aluminum screen. OSH wanted $30.00!!! I thought it would be trivial, based on responses here. Regroup. Price above items. Consider price difference vs hassle. Cogitate. Maybe end up patching after all...

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

It is a DYI job that you should learn. I can replace a screen quicker than driving it off some place and then driving back to pick it up - make that 2 screens.

Reply to
Frank

ce above items. Consider price difference vs hassle. Cogitate. Maybe end up patching after all...

My outdoor cat has a habit of letting us know that she wants to come inside by climbing the screen on our patio door and jumping down onto the deck. T he "thump" gets our attention.

Many years ago, after she had ripped a couple of screens, I replaced the sc reen with some pet-proof screening from Home Depot. She's been climbing th e screen, even getting her claws stuck in it a few times so that I have to use my hand to free her claws, and there is absolutely no indication of wea r and tear. It's some pretty strong material.

176176
Reply to
DerbyDad03

rice above items. Consider price difference vs hassle. Cogitate. Maybe e nd up patching after all...

de by climbing the screen on our patio door and jumping down onto the deck. The "thump" gets our attention.

screen with some pet-proof screening from Home Depot. She's been climbing the screen, even getting her claws stuck in it a few times so that I have t o use my hand to free her claws, and there is absolutely no indication of w ear and tear. It's some pretty strong material.

She must be a slow learner! Needs her claws clipped. (So does mine, but h e's so strong, I'm afraid to approach him.)

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Cover the cat's head with a towel. Doesn't work if you can't hold the cat at all, but it does help if they can't see what's going on.

Reply to
Dan Espen

I would never clip the claws of an outdoor cat. Think protection, be it defending herself directly or simply climbing a tree to get away.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Our old silver tiger,"buddy" was mostly an indoor cat, so his front claws were sacrificed for the privilege of living with humans and furniture - but he spent time outdoors as well - One day a very unsociable yellow tom from down the street paid him a visit and they got into a scrap. There was buddy, on his back, pedalling as if he was trying to win the Tour de France - yellow fur flying in all directions as he raked the belly of that old tom with his hind legs. There was a lot of howling going on - and it was mostly from the yellow tom - whether in pain, rage, or surprise at the beating he was taking.

A fw minutes later, after the yellow had left, Buddy came in -shaking a little, but with not a mark on him.

Reply to
clare