Repair Or Replace Kitchen Cabinets?

But that is simply ridiculous. You can have that work done substantially cheaper than $1000/outlet by a professional. Why should I pay for your time to do the work because you are too cheap to have it done professionally, and too inexperienced to do it efficiently.

New toilet bowl and wax seal $2000! Again, a professional would not charge this much, so why should I pay you to do it?

A polygraph? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

$1000/room to paint? Jesus man where do you live? Why should I deduct the price of this because your tastes are different than mine. Go find a different house if you dont like the color and want me to pay YOU (a ridiculous price) to paint it.

Now a smoker's house-that is a different story. That could be 5-10k deduction for repriming/repainting every single surface.

On the other hand, a kitchen that needs replacement is not worth negotiating over? We just did ours over for about 6k (ourselves-IKEA cabinets), and probably could have done it ~1.5-2k cheaper, but we went with some nicer stuff because we are using it. Nevertheless I know we will get our money back when we sell, but that is our market.

When I was looking at houses recently, the FIRST thing I noticed was the kitchen. If it was crappy, my interest in the house went WAY down. If it was nice, I was more intrigued. IMHO a DIY kitchen done resonably well will return the investment (depending on the market I suppose) and sell the house easier/faster. Other problems will tend to get overlooked easier if the kitchen pops out (Not by you, I suppose, but most people). And most people do not want to go through a kitchen remodel. It is stressful, a hassle, and very expensive when done professionally.

Maybe these "negotiations" fly in your market, where there is a glut of houses on the market (?), but not in mine...

You must only buy new....

Reply to
chester

I never said the figures I mentioned were in any way related to the cost of having a pro do the work, or the cost of materials if I do the work. I said the figures reflect what my time is worth on weekends when I could be doing something I love, like fishing. Nobody but me can place a value on that time.

Read slower.

Reply to
Doug Kanter