Repair or replace

Page 1 of 2
Repair or replace. That question often comes up here. I had two examples in the past week.
I have a Rubbermaid mailbox and post that wad damaged in the snowstorms. Replacement post, delivered $54 New mailbox and post $52
The light under the kitchen cabinet burned out. It is a fluorescent fixture that takes an F15 bulb Replacement bulb $6.88 New fixture including bulb $6.96 The fixture is "assembled in USA" too.
Makes one wonder how they do the pricing of this stuff.
On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 00:53:38 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"

There's a sucker born every minute !!!! Plus, we need to fill up those landfills faster so they can make new ones !!!!
On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 00:53:38 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"

I've always had doubts about Rubbermain mailboxes.
For one thing, doesn't the mail get wet when you do the dishes?
In your case, if it's rubber, why didn't the post bend and bounce back when the snow sat on it or the car hit it?

It's a puzzlement.

We don't do dishes until the mail comes first. Sometimes the mailman leaves his coffee cup too.
I'm not sure how old it is, but over ten years. Until this year's heavy snow, it has actually held up well against the plow debris. Maybe it just got brittle over time, but it was cracked at the bottom and I had one hell of a time breaking the rest of it off. The design is a steel rod pounded into the dirt, no digging, no cement to mix.
The one feature of this mailbox we really like is the telltale flag. When the MM opens the door, it pops up a yellow flag on the side and it is visible from the house so you know if the mail came. We get mail late (sometimes around 5 PM) so it has save many a false trip to retrieve it. Not a big thing, but on a very cold or rainy day, we appreciate it. One of those things, once you've had one you wonder why every mailbox does not have one. Even all the Rubbermaid don't.
On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 08:27:21 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"

Are you talkin' about me? Are YOU talkin' about me?

Absolutely. It was more than 100 feet from our door to the mailbox, sometimes in the snow or rain or cold.

I don't know why these aren't more popular either. My mother bought one, that screwed on to our metal mailbox, in 1958! You'd think everyone would have one by now. But in 7 years in the suburbs then, I only saw 4 or 5 others, and here it is 50 years later and still they are so uncommon.
Hers had a weight on one end, with a thin metal piece that got clipped between the mailbox door and the side, and a yellow metal flag on the other end. I saw one or two with a parallelogram shaped set of metal parts that caused the flag to go up.
But those are long gone afaict. They do, however, sell electronic transmitters that are supposed to know when you get mail and beep in your house. Far less reliable, needs batteries, what a project, when the yellow flag is 100% reliable and should last for 50 years.

On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 08:27:21 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

The previous owners of our place mounted the box on a spring-loaded arm - it's been clipped by passing plows a few times and so far hasn't broken. I'm surprised there isn't a commercial kit to do that - seems to work well, and I see many destroyed boxes up here in the winter.

That's a nice feature. Shame it can't tell between good mail and junk ;-)
cheers
Jules

[I caught the humor-- just had to say. . . .] Last summer I just happened to look out as a truck hit my Rubbermaid mailbox and sent it 50 feet up the road. Mine is on a 4x4 post mounted on a round post so it can swing when the plow hits it.
The post was fine. The little lever that tells me when the mailman has opened the box was missing. But otherwise, the mailbox was fine. It was just 'unsnapped' from the mount. Snapped it back in-- and saw the little lever thing in the grass, which also snapped back into place.
By the time I got around to putting it back together, my wife was already out buying a new box-- so now I've got a spare in the garage for when a tank runs over the one that is out there now.
They are sturdy little buggers.
Jim

That is pretty good.

Rubbermaild boxes or wives.

-snip-
In my case, both.<g> I've seen 'less-than-sturdy' wives. I chose the lifetime model this time.
Jim

I bought four four foot fluorescent fixtures, and a dozen bulbs, and with the power company rebate, the cost was zero. I'm like you, how do they figure this stuff.
Steve
Heart surgery pending? www.cabgbypasssurgery.com
On 3/27/2011 12:13 PM, Steve B wrote:

It's called the Gillette business model. Give away the device, and you have them by the short and curlies forever on the consumables. Inkjet printers are famous for that. In the case of the shop lights, the power company rebate is because of reduced demand (in theory), but because THEY get a tax credit for promoting 'efficient' lights.
--
aem sends...

On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 08:34:09 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

Just like an inkjet printer. Once you have that fixture, you are "stuck" buying bulbs. Unless you want to remove/re-install the complete fixture every time - which MOST people do not want to do.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Hi, My rule of thumb, buy best you can afford, keep it long. Stay above prosumer level quality.
Pricing- manufacturing and parts is a small fraction of the total cost, so the difference between the bulb and the housing plus bulb is minimal.
They sell the whole unit cheaper than the (most expensive) part because they move a lot of whole units. If they don't sell very many replacement bulbs (and at this price they probably don't) then the cost of inventory's much higher- they stock something that takes two years to sell, that costs them something.
And if they didn't stock the replacement bulb people would complain- What do you mean I can't buy a bulb, I have to buy a new one, throw away the whole thing and reinstall it?
On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 14:49:14 -0700 (PDT), Shaun Eli

Why not take the bulb out of the new one and throw it (the new one) away?
On 3/27/2011 6:08 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

'Cuz that just ain't NATURAL. I'm sure people on this group have whole piles off stuff out back that is just missing one part. Too expensive to fix, but too good to throw out, etc. And every few years, you get to look like a hero to family or friends, because you had that now-hard-to-find spare whatever in stock.
Are there any tinkerers and DIY's that don't have a touch of OCD?
--
aem sends...

After the last three moves, and probably at least one more sometime in the future, I don't keep much that isn't used regularly.
On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 18:35:01 -0400, aemeijers wrote:

I have stuff spread over three continents :-)
cheers
Jules
On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 15:44:31 -0600, Tony Hwang wrote:

I'm not sure that works so well these days - I see a lot of expensive stuff on the market that still isn't built to last or be repairable when it does break... for the higher-end items, companies are often relying on the good reputation that they once had more than anything.
It can be amusing looking at big shiny stuff like TVs in the store, then asking the salesfolk if you can take it apart to see if it's actually any good or not. They're usually rather reluctant. ;-)
On 3/26/2011 11:53 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

the one i love is the ink for my inkjet printer.
printer complete with 4 inks and 2 printheads on amazon.com $98
pkg of 4 inks alone (no print heads) $125.
Yes, twice i've bought new printers, pulled the ink out of the top of the box and put the rest in the dumpster.
--
Steve Barker