Repair of Kenmore gas dryer

I have a kenmore model 110.76912692 76912 dryer. I am about 99% sure the problem is the moter. It makes a terrible growling sound and only runs for a half cycle then quits. After is quits running the machines needs to sit for al least 30 minutes. Now the drum will not spin at all, it just growls for 5 seconds and quits. The drum istelf is very hard to turn, so it may actually be a pully. The only way to tell is to take it apart. Here is the big question.

In order to get to the motor and pully do I need to remove the drum? If so, then to get at the drum I assume I need to remove the entire face of the dryer. For this model I remove the lower face plate then remove the two screws under the face. Then I remove the the screws on the back then slide the entire upper portion of the dryer back and the top will lift. Then I remove the two screws on the top corners. Is this all correct?

I have never taken anything like this appart, it does not seem too difficult. I just want to make sure I am doing things properly. Is there anyplace I can download a service manual for the dryer?

Thanks

P.S

Where is good place to buy parts at a good price?

Reply to
???

I just replaced the motor on my kenmore, it's not real hard to do. The motor was $90, it took me about 2 hours to complete it, but now that I know how to do it the job would be about an hour.

You do have to remove the front of your dryer, the lower and upper portion... on my dryer the top flipped up after you removed the screws that hold the lint screen support. Once the face is off you'll see the pulley and the belt. The drum will lift out of the top (at least mine did) once you take the drum off. Make sure, even take a digital picture of how the belt goes around the pulley, you would never guess it on your own as to how it goes back on.

I'll give you one hint if it's the motor, the motor is held in by metal straps around the front and back of the motor, you have to push down and out to un-hook them.

Of course make sure it's the motor.... when mine went bad it would have to sit for 20 minutes, but mine also gave out a burning smell.

Someone on here mentioned a cheap place to buy motors, maybe he'll respond... it was a little late for me as I already had replaced mine when he posted.

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck

Hi,

Sounds like a bad motor is possible for sure :(

Take apart helps...

Whirlpool/Kenmore Dryer Repair Manual, covers two and four roller gas or electric dryers,

No model specific manauls, but above is for your style of dryer.

Drive motor

Motor for your model#.

Hope something here helps,

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid