repair natural gas pipe leak?

Page 2 of 3

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Teflon tape is okay, you just have to use twice as much (or yellow Teflon tape which is twice as thick).
But pipe dope is better; it actually seals the joint rather than just lubricating it.

for better sealing use both tape and dope

The leak might not be from his home, I had a friend with a leak that was actually from the main line, and followed back from 1/4 a mile away
I was trained to use both teflon tape and Rectorseal #5 dope. How could they interfere? Worked fine, all the years I used them.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

The companies that make tape for gas lines must be going broke then, what with all that unsold inventory.

I know for a fact that in SOME areas, tape on a gas pipe will cause an inspection failure and the gas will NOT be turned on untill the tape is removed and the pipelines cleaned out.
http://www.google.com/products?q=gas+teflon+tape+&hl=en&aq=f
YOU might find THAT SOME teflon TAPE is suited for GAS pipes. Have a LOOK and maybe you'll BE able to learn some.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Not according top a friend a master plumber who has 12 trucks on the road.....
He says tape gets a occasional leak.
Dope gets a occasional leak
The combo almost never leaks:)
When your paying nyour techs by nthe hour on fixed price jobs thats important

It's been a few decades but I've fit miles of pipe when I worked in chemical plants back in the 70s. Threaded pipe up to 2" and flanged up to 12". IMHO using both tape and dope would be a waste of time. Applied properly and installed correctly, neither will leak.

Teflon tape is NOT recommended for gas, because if any of it "strings" off inside the pipe it WILL block orfices - causing untold problems. If you really know what you are doing, you CAN install tape so that it cannot "string off" - but you really DO need to know what you are doing. Teflon paste works much better, is much simpler, and will not cause a problem unless you REALLY screw things up.
On Fri, 02 Jul 2010 16:09:21 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote Re Re: repair natural gas pipe leak?:

Well, that may be how SOME people think of it, but CERTAINLY not ALL. There are MANY jurisdictions where tape is COMMONLY used WITHOUT problems. What do YOU think of THAT?
I THINK that CLARE must live in a DIFFERENT part of the COUNTRY from you and I, and THAT Clare has a different EXPERIENCE. http://www.google.com/products?q=gas+teflon+tape+&hl=en&aq=f
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Used to also be you could not use galvanized fitting on NG lines here - but now you CAN.. Some inspectors still don't like it, but it is now legal in some areas. It's possible the yellow tape MAY pass here now too, but when my furnace was replaced about 3 years ago, it was still not allowed - the whole job was done with pipe dope - just like the water heater 8 or more years ago. The guy doing the furnace inspection said if there was ANY teflon tape visible he could not turn the gas back on - period - end of story.
I like BLACK iron pipe BECAUSE it is visibly different THAN water pipe. So, YOU can tell by JUST looking which ARE which.
I've ALSO found that the LOCAL inspector may be RIGHT or WRONG, but on some THING like teflon tape, IT IS easier to do it like the local INSPECTOR wishes. NATURAL gas is low enough PRESSURE that either ONE is likely to SEAL.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Up here they really like it if you paint the gas pipes yellow. IF there is also galvanized water piping in the building.
Other than industrial/commercial sprinkler systems, galvanized water piping is pretty much extinct around here.
On Sat, 03 Jul 2010 10:40:54 -0700, Smitty Two

Au Contraire, mes amis - I very often mention "up here in Ontario" or other references to my location.
Waterloo Ontario - home of the RIM Blackberry, Open Text, Sandvine Systems, MKS, and a slew of other world renouned technology companies.
Oh, gosh. That would be useful for us American readers to know. Of course, we all think everyone who posts to AHR lives in USA. Cheerio!
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Vinny From NYC wrote:

Ineffective union influence, laissez fair regulations (if any), severe lack of nanny-state oversight.