Repair my Emglo AM78-HV4V air compressor

Page 2 of 2
<Ken Sterling (Ken Sterling)> wrote in message

So if that's the case, how do I get to them?
Mike

Mike, Having trouble finding any kind of info on that particular model - AM78-HV4V...... From your original post, it sounds like this is just a motor, with a pulley, driving a larger pulley via a belt, as you mentioned giving the "fan" a spin. Anyway, ya gotta locate the motor, and take the end bell off to gain access to a centrifugal switch internal to the motor. The switch has a set of contact points on it which close with the motor at rest, putting the cap into the circuit. When the motor starts up, centrifugal force causes the switch to open up and takes the cap out of the circuit until it's needed for the next start. Arcing, pitting, dust, dirt, etc., can keep the contacts from making contact with each other when the motor is at rest. I suggested tapping on the end bell of the motor when trying to start it as sometimes that will let the contacts actually touch each other and get the cap in the circuit to start the motor. That will tell you if the cap is good or not as well as letting you know that the contacts are dirty. I can't see the motor so it's hard to tell you how to take it apart. Sorry. Ken.