Repair heat pump, or replace it?

Page 2 of 2

I thought you said before.............."Thats all I have to say". What else do you have to say? Bubba (13 SEER?? You sell that bottom feeder, builder grade shit?)
Bubba,
You are a dick...'nuff said.

Billy, Shut up, cuntlips. More than "nuff" said. Bubba

This summer I had a service call for my A/C not starting. A service man quickly found a bad capacitor, and replaced it. Capicator = $8 Service Call = $70
John Normile

Depending on the capacitor, that sounds about like our charge.......6 years ago. We were $69 for the service call. Then $89, then $109 2 years ago. We WERE going to go to $129 January 1st, but decided not to. As I have stated before, we are just about the cheapest in town

Be careful. Has to be more than just Energy Star rated to get the tax credit. Go on the Energy Star site and make sure that what you are buying will qualify. Because it is a manufactured home, it may be a packaged unit. When I bought mine three weeks ago, no packaged heat pump in the tonnage range I needed qualified because no packaged heat pump met the 9 HSPH requirement.

Don't forget to turn it back on when it gets cold in the house.
How hot was it getting by the way?
I would try to find where the burning smell is coming from before the smell goes away. It might be important, and it might certainly help you or a service man find a problem, if the smell is caused by the heat pump and if the smell is related to a problem.
And I agree with Mark at the bottom.

OK, thanks very much everyone, stuck contactor seems to be the most common suggestion.
The burning smell was before I even got here, so unfortuantely I don't know where that was coming from (it may have been in her head too, as she was not certain about it)
My brother came by today (he's a police officer, but use to be in construction, & has some broad knowledge of home repair and such). He reset the circuit breakers that were inside the heat pump itself...turned it back on and everything is going fine so far...
I'm going to leave it on for the weekend while I'm here, and see if the problem repeats. I plan on turning it off at night, so that nothing gets damaged when I would be asleep and unaware. (I'm house sitting for my mom)
I also plan on checking my mom's electicity bills...And thanks for the info on the tax credit! I was vaguely aware of something like that, as well as a program here in the state of Oregon I looked into a year ago for her (since her heat pump was getting old any way)
The house has a wood stove, so heat isn't as critical as it could be.
Again, thanks everyone very much! I'll post if there is any new information...and please let me know if anyone has any other input (especially if I'm doing something foolish)
On 19 Feb 2006 03:02:22 -0800, mark snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

If there is a burning smell in her head, she should see a certified furnace repairman or doctor** as soon as possible.
**A headologist.