Repair dryer timer

Timer started acting in ages (20 yo+) old Kenmore dryer. Removed it to look up the P/N (youtube for instructions on removal, real ez stuff).

While on it, decided to see if I can repair, instead of dropping $60+ S/H o n new one.

Make sure you understand what wires plug where (they are color coded and/or have letters on them). Memorize the position of timer (so you don't instal l it upside down). Unplug the timer.

Remove the retaining clip on the knob shaft (1/4" clip or thereabout). Remove the 2 screws holding the metal plate to the plastic body of timer. R emove the plate.

Gently rock the shaft while gently pulling on it :) and you should be able to separate the timer control disk assembly from the body of the timer.

Most likely your disk assy is just fine, like mine was. It mostly likely g oing to be the contact springs inside of the plastic body that are:

- misaligned and/or

- bit burned

I used fine sandpaper strip and cleaned up the contacts. One of the springs was misaligned - due to missing retaining bracket on it's 1/4" flat contac t blade.

I aligned the spring and used hot glue to make sure it doesn't get out of a lignment again. You can use epoxy etc. Make sure the glue doesn't get onto contacts. Let the glue cure.

Slide the disk assembly back in. You will need to kind of slide it in from a side, not straight down. You will see how the springs position inside of the groves in between the disks. May be use a toothpick/skewer to push a sp ring away so it clears the disk.

Install the plate, the 2 screws and the retaining clip. Install the timer b ack into the dryer. Again, make sure you don't install upside down - if you do, the timer legend will be wrong, but no harm will be done.

Saving $70 is nice. Having repaired something with your own hands - even be tter. Knowing you didn't pollute our planet with more junk - priceless !

Reply to
rashid.karimov

Hi, I used to trade in old bad one for new factory refurbished one to save time. I don't know how much time you spend on it. Time is money too,lol!

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Sounds like a job well done. And as you say, conserve resources. I had similar moment on my washing machine. had to spray the timer out with solvent, and relubricate. It would get stuck in one spot.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon