Repair Delta Faucet

pretty tight.

There is another kit: Cam and seal kit. Includes the dished rubber seal on top. Loss of the pin won;t make leak but could cause wobblies.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

I have a leaking Delta faucet. I bought the repair kit. Replaced 2 0-rings, washers & springs. Ball seal and cam. Put the whole thing back together and it leaks whenever the water is on. I've got the thing tightened down pretty tight.

Also, and this may be the problem. I keep seeing references to a pin that should line up with the slot on the ball.

There is no pin on my faucet, only a tiny hole, where maybe a pin was...

Any ideas on how to stop the leaking?

- Dave

Reply to
dave

pretty tight.

You may have loose scale, sand, small rocks, in the pipes that is working it's way into the faucet when the water runs.

pull it apart again and see if something is stuck under the new seals or ball.

You may have to flush out the pipes.

Some have a pin others have a slot, you might have to replace the ball too if it has ANY marks.

If the seals and ball are good you don't have to crank it down, just a bit over finger tight

But many years ago I knew a plumber who just looked at any delta faucet, and would only rip them out and replace them with "Moens". Always said he had too many problems after trying to repair them, as the housings used to corrode, and they would leak again less than a year later.

Side note: moen supplies new cartridges for free if they EVER start leaking.

AMUN

Reply to
Amun

pretty tight.

Jim - thanks, but I replaced the cam and seal as well.

The odd thing is that when this all started, for months this thing had a slight drip when the water was running. In one day it went from a slight drip to a heavy leak, which is what prompted me to do the repair. Now I'm thinking that something internal has failed.

This unit uses a separate spout for the water, and I did see a small plastic disc (the diverter, I think it's called,) anyway, I wonder if that is the problem. I didn't see the disc in any of the replacement kits at the store.

- Dave

Reply to
dave

Where is your faucet leaking from? The end of the spigot? Down along where the faucet pivots from side to side? Out the top where the handle is?

If it's #1, it's one or both of the valve seats. Remove and inspect/replace them. There should be no nicks or noticeable defects.

If it's #2, it's the one or both of the two big o-rings. This time when you replace them, consider applying a thin layer of food grade silicon grease to them before you install them... just enough to make them look wet.

If it's #3, it's the rubber packing just on top of the ball assembly... or it just needs to be tightened down.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN