Repair a scored impeller shaft

My 17 year-old Noma snowthrower has a scored impeller shaft on the second stage. Last winter the bearing assembly on the stage housing failed and now the 7/8" steel shaft is about 3/4" for about an inch.

I'm having trouble finding the part although I can get the bearing assembly. The impeller and shaft are all one piece. Is there anyway to augment the scored section and restore it to the original diameter? Is any kind of welding an option? I suspect there isn't any kind of mild steel duct tape.

Keeping this thing running has become somewhat of a hobby for me. I'm guessing it's time to get a new one and pay more attention to preventative maintenance.

Thanks.

Reply to
Doug Swetland

Welding and grinding is an option if you can disassemble. Go to a shop that does cams.

Can you make an angle iron bracket to move the pillow block (I assume) bearing over to a good part of the shaft? This could be done with drill, nut, bolt work - no welding.

DanG

I agree or you may be able to get an oversized bearing and a sleeve which can be epoxied/welded onto the shaft over the worn section. Check with a local bearing supplier.

JFYI

Dan O.

Reply to
Dan O.

go to rec.crafts.metalworking and ask the same question and you will get answere from machinist that can give you good information.....

Reply to
jim

sleeve

Try local machine shops see if any do journal repairs impeller and shaft are all one piece shouldn't be a problem we have a local shop that does it welded in lathe and cutting keyway for $60.00 If you don't mind the 6 wk lead time another that does flame spray 2 wk turn around about $160.00 and then there's always brush plating on site not sure what that runs

Spud

Reply to
Spud

Your easieat way out is to find out exactly where the shaft will clean up, so have it machined to some reasonably standard dimension. Then contact your local bearing store, give them the inner, outer and width dimensions you want in a new bearing and odds are they can pull one off the shelf. If the inner fit on the shaft isn't perfect, don't sweat it, cement the critter on with red LockTite and it ought to last for years. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

What came to mind to me was to cut a length of 3/4 water copper tubing, and then cut it length wise with a hacksaw. That shoudl bulk it up a little.

I did something similar with lawn mower wheels one time, when I had a couple really wobbly wheels on a walk behind mower.

Reply to
Stormin Mormonn

And last about 2 seconds..

Why dont you secure your blade with a copper nut??

Reply to
CBhvac