Repair a formica countertop

I have a customer that wanted an adjustment made to her formica countertop. I made the adjustment and when I went to screw the countertop back on, I realized that whoever put the screws in used long screws and simple carefully screwed them in just enough to hold the countertop in place. I started to screw it back in, went too far, and started to lift the formica finish on the countertop. I cracked the surface but didn't drill through the top. I stopped just in time.

Now how do I fix it?

Reply to
Marc

If you cracked it, I don't think it can be fixed, other than maybe laying another sheet of formica on top of the whole countertop, which whould likely look like crap.

Ask the customer what would make them satisfied.

Is the crack really that bad? Jeezy Weezy - it's formica, not granite.

Maybe you can "fix" it by telling them you screwed up, you are sorry, ask them what would make them happy, ad offer to knock some $$ of the bill.

Most people are pretty forgiving if you are honest with em.

IMO.

Reply to
Matt

You screwed up, pun intended. You know the answer you can`t repair it. Did you use a screw gun, call your insurance co or pray they are understanding people.

Reply to
m Ransley

This is easy. I'll handle this one guys.

Put a strip of duct tape from the counter top, covering the blemish, and wrap around the front. Repeat this about every 18 inches. Tell the homeowner to leave the tape in place for at least 3 days (or whatever it takes for the check to clear) so the counter can take a proper set. Homeowner can remove the tape after that.

If they see the crack and call to complain, remind them that it is their fault for pulling the tape off too fast. Offer to replace the counter at your cost, about $2,000.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski