repainting wood doors - roll or brush?

I'm in the process of repainting the interior of my house and I'm now at the point where I need to start doing the wooden doors. The door are

3-panel types with "simulated grain", and I'm using Behr satin latex paint. I've gotten different recommendations from various people - some say to use a brush and some say to roll it out. Which method is preferable? If the best way is to roll the paint on, what brand of rollers is best?

Thanks,

Jean

Reply to
Jean

I use a short nap roller in order to get an even paint application. While it is still wet, I let a 3 or 4 inch brush glide over the stipple marks left by the roller, using only the weight of the brush, holding the brush by the tip of the handle. The result is a very smooth finish, without stipples.

You may want to first try this on a piece of scrap.

Reply to
Walter R.

I use brushes. A round sash brush for the edges of the panels, then about a 2" brush for the rest of the door. Work from top to bottom, do the panels first, so you can pick up any runs. Finish with edge and frame.

Reply to
paulwross

Hi, I always use brush. Interior or exterior doors.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

| > Thanks, | >

| > Jean | >

Interesting option. Is the purpose of the roller to get the paint down fast? Do you just use a regular 8" roller with 3/8" nap?

Jean

Reply to
Jean

I take them outside and spray them - no brush or roller marks.

Reply to
M.Paul

The roller applies the paint faster and more evenly than a brush can. Any size roller will do, depending on what you do, door trim or door panels. 9" is fine for a door without any panels. I like 4" for the jambs. The shorter the nap, the better, think 1/8" or 1/4". Do a section at a time to make sure the paint does not dry before you can smooth it out with the tender touch of a brush.

Reply to
Walter R.

Thanks for the advice - I think I'm going to try it your way. I once tried rolling the panels out, but I was disappointed with the lack of smoothness. Your trick using the brush should cure that problem.

Jean

| > Interesting option. Is the purpose of the roller to get the paint down | > fast? Do you just use a regular 8" roller with 3/8" nap? | >

| > Jean | >

Jean

Reply to
nospambob