repainting wood doors - roll or brush?

I'm in the process of repainting the interior of my house and I'm now at the point where I need to start doing the wooden doors. The door are 3-panel types with "simulated grain", and I'm using Behr satin latex paint. I've gotten different recommendations from various people - some say to use a brush and some say to roll it out. Which method is preferable? If the best way is to roll the paint on, what brand of rollers is best?
Thanks,
Jean
I use a short nap roller in order to get an even paint application. While it is still wet, I let a 3 or 4 inch brush glide over the stipple marks left by the roller, using only the weight of the brush, holding the brush by the tip of the handle. The result is a very smooth finish, without stipples.
You may want to first try this on a piece of scrap.
--
Walter
www.rationality.net
| | I use a short nap roller in order to get an even paint application. While it | is still wet, I let a 3 or 4 inch brush glide over the stipple marks left by | the roller, using only the weight of the brush, holding the brush by the tip | of the handle. The result is a very smooth finish, without stipples. | | You may want to first try this on a piece of scrap. | | -- | Walter | www.rationality.net | -
Interesting option. Is the purpose of the roller to get the paint down fast? Do you just use a regular 8" roller with 3/8" nap?
Jean
The roller applies the paint faster and more evenly than a brush can. Any size roller will do, depending on what you do, door trim or door panels. 9" is fine for a door without any panels. I like 4" for the jambs. The shorter the nap, the better, think 1/8" or 1/4". Do a section at a time to make sure the paint does not dry before you can smooth it out with the tender touch of a brush.
--
Walter
www.rationality.net
Jean
| > | I use a short nap roller in order to get an even paint application. | > While | > it | > | is still wet, I let a 3 or 4 inch brush glide over the stipple marks | > left | > by | > | the roller, using only the weight of the brush, holding the brush by the | > tip | > | of the handle. The result is a very smooth finish, without stipples. | > | | > | You may want to first try this on a piece of scrap. | > | | > | -- | > | Walter | > | www.rationality.net | > | - | > | > | > Interesting option. Is the purpose of the roller to get the paint down | > fast? Do you just use a regular 8" roller with 3/8" nap? | > | > Jean | > | > | > | > | | | | -- |
The pocket door I treated this way was rolled with oil in a kitchen and the 4" brush was already loaded with paint. Very light touch while paint was fresh and the job leveled beautifully!

I use brushes. A round sash brush for the edges of the panels, then about a 2" brush for the rest of the door. Work from top to bottom, do the panels first, so you can pick up any runs. Finish with edge and frame.
Jean wrote:

Hi, I always use brush. Interior or exterior doors.

paint.
use
I take them outside and spray them - no brush or roller marks.